My First King On Semi-live Bait

Wantingaboat

Hey Raiders,

Thought i would post a quick report about yesterdays outing. Got the day off so decided to hit the harbour on my lonesome. I went straight to Balmoral and got some yakkas that went into the LBT. This was the first time that i had got yakkas that were actually a good size. The ones that i have caught in the past were massive, more like tailor, and i never caught anything using them. Anyway to cut a long story short i then went over to a spot i know and dropped down a few livies. I must say that after i had put a 8/0 through them they didnt look too healthy. I had one out on 20 pound line and another on 40 pound. I was flicking SP around on a light rod when i see my 24kg live fibre bend big time. It was just a short intense bend and by the time i had it out of the holder, nothing. Put another livie on and then my other rod goes off. Now this is a $130 combo penn rod/reel but it has caught all my kings. Seems any combo worth over $150 and the kings wont touch it. Anyway got it in and measured at 60cm. Still not a legal king for the tinny but it will come. Here is a picture. He absolutely decimated the yakka.

post-9512-1242182371_thumb.jpg

Cheers. Mike.

Good one Mike.

It would have been good catching them on the sol2000 but its more than $150 and probably u wont have luck on it too. U need to replace all ur expensive gear with the K->>>> ones and possibly ull pull them into ur tinny.

Cheers for all the help. No Jon it wasnt on that rod. I have had a couple of kings smash my bream rod but none that have actually been netted. Hodgey thats a great link and i think i was pretty close to the mark where i should be threading the hook through. Does anyone know if sweep have a size limit and if kings eat these too? Cheers. Mike.

Cheers for all the help. No Jon it wasnt on that rod. I have had a couple of kings smash my bream rod but none that have actually been netted. Hodgey thats a great link and i think i was pretty close to the mark where i should be threading the hook through. Does anyone know if sweep have a size limit and if kings eat these too? Cheers. Mike.

I meant that it would have been good if you hooked it on your sol. Heaps of fun.