Maximum Leather Jacket Bag Limit

pauljm

Hi raiders... i am pretty sure i read somewhere on this site the maximum limit for any fish was 20 (pls correct me if i am wrong).... just wondering cos after losing countless $$$$$$$$ offshore in braid,hooks and sinkers i intend to get a bit of my own back and target the critters to feed the extended family for a while! So if it is 20 is that per person on the boat or total capture? Winter fishing for us used to mean big kings and trevs but now you are lucky to bring your own hooks up. Its driving me mad as no-one even wants to go anymore as we just lose too much gear..... Its time for revenge!

hey buddy

you can refer to this webpage for bag limits and size limits for fish

Here

and the bag limit for leather jackets is 20, and im pretty sure thats per person, im sure someone will correct me if im wrong though.

Cheers

Cory

Edited by BTK

Thanks for clearing that up.....20 per person is a good feed....should be able to do that in an hour or two if all goes to plan...will let you know how i go....shame about the wind forcast forthis weekend though.......cheers...... paul

I know one thing for sure is that in the harbour at the moment you will not have any trouble catching 20 Jackets.

Had a frustrating session this morning and in the end the jackets won. Kept a few for lunch to get them back for the hooks, swivels, sinkers and fresh squid they took from me.

Thanks for clearing that up.....20 per person is a good feed....should be able to do that in an hour or two if all goes to plan...will let you know how i go....shame about the wind forcast forthis weekend though.......cheers...... paul

Sundays not looking to bad at this stage paul. Going to go and attemp to bag out of the b@$%#ds the only good thing the've got going for them as mentioned they're good on the tooth, fighting qualities pftttt lol :beersmile:

cheers fisho5

how big were they Moro, and where were you having the problems with them?

might be worth directing a few fishos to the area over the weekend to clean out your infestation!

Chris

Hi Chris,

They were caught near Dobroyd head. Biggest was approx 30 cm. Couldn't get a bait to the bottom with them literally swarming at about the 4 - 5 mtr mark.

BTW - i filleted, coated in olive oil and some moroccan spice and grilled on the BBQ and they were very tasty.

Hi raiders... i am pretty sure i read somewhere on this site the maximum limit for any fish was 20 (pls correct me if i am wrong).... just wondering cos after losing countless $$$$$$$$ offshore in braid,hooks and sinkers i intend to get a bit of my own back and target the critters to feed the extended family for a while! So if it is 20 is that per person on the boat or total capture? Winter fishing for us used to mean big kings and trevs but now you are lucky to bring your own hooks up. Its driving me mad as no-one even wants to go anymore as we just lose too much gear..... Its time for revenge!

Is targeting leatherjackets as easy as heavy leader/ wire trace, or is there more to it? They are great for a feed!

I find a small hook (long shanked) in say size 1 with a running sinker straight down to the hook. Better still is if you can avoid a sinker at all.

Avoid using swivels or beads as these are just easy targets for getting bitten off.

With the above method you will still lose the odd hook and sinker but i find less than normal.

Is targeting leatherjackets as easy as heavy leader/ wire trace, or is there more to it? They are great for a feed!

Mate when fishing outside they can cut you off anywhere from going for the swivel from main line to leader which is most common...or they just take a hook off or sometimes they will cut the braid off just under the boat ...if a little bit of anything gets stuck on your line the 50 metres of braid and entire rig is gone... so i have gone and bought 70 m of 1.2mm staino wire rope and put it on an old alvey with an old broom stick rod and a normal wire trace set up for leatheries.... i reckon ive got em covered....will post results if i can get out in the wind tomorrow....cheers paul