Electric Winch Issue

fishmad

Hi All , I have have a mate that has and electric winch on his boat trailer for draging his 6MTR boat up . His setup is quiet smart but has a catch ! He has a wire that runs from the battery to the back of the 4WD with a plug that is next to the flat 7 pin . Then a plug that goes from the winch to the 4WD which plugs in and gives the winch life . Works well for him doing alot of fishing and family outings with wife ! No stress on him or her . But here is the catch ! This setup means he can only tow/Lauch his boat off his 4WD which is bad in a way . My suggestion was to fit a battery box to the trailer which could be hard wired to the winch and then the boat can be launched of any vechile . The battery would have to be charged after most outings i would imagine and obviuosly in a lockable S/S or Aluiminuim box mounted on the drawer bar.

Has anyone or does anyone have this setup ? Or have seen or used this setup ? if so please shed some light on this for me , Good idea or bad ?

Look forward to hearing peoples 2 CENTS

Cheers Mark

Hi Mark, we have done it on many boats over the years and works well. When I had an electric winch on my trailer I had the battery and box on the trailer frame and would run on trickle charge overnight. Only issue is theft and you need to make sure the battery is secured well. You can get quick relase bolt sets for the winch to allow that to be removed and maybe just as easy to remove the battery and put in the car as well when out using the boat.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Mark, we have done it on many boats over the years and works well. When I had an electric winch on my trailer I had the battery and box on the trailer frame and would run on trickle charge overnight. Only issue is theft and you need to make sure the battery is secured well. You can get quick relase bolt sets for the winch to allow that to be removed and maybe just as easy to remove the battery and put in the car as well when out using the boat.

Cheers,

Huey.

Thanks Huey , I thought of having one made up in either stainless steel or aluiminum , What would be the best to go onto the drawer bar of a gal trailer ? and also how was yours fixed with the standard u bolts that you see attached to winch posts ? This could work if you have the nuts in the box to prevent theft . The box must be lockable also .

Regards Mark

HI mark,

I have the same set up as your mate. Prior to fitting I spoke with various people at different boat ramps about their set up with the battery box mounted to the trailer. Most had a story about damage being done to the box and theft of the battery. So I opted for the plug on the car. In case I use another vehicle I made up another cable which runs from the winch directly to the car battery using alligator clips to mount to battery.

Sam

Winching a boat isn't a particularly demanding thing, if the winch draw less than 50 amps /hr I'd just run some cable from the car battery to an anderson plugs on the towbar. Preferably upgrade the cars battery but if you keep the motor running you'll be OK.

Charles

Personally I drive my 5.5m as far up the trailer as I can whin=ch is normally all the way.

I have back and neck problems so hand winching any distance is out for me.

I run 2 batteries in the boat, I ran the trailer wire from the deep cycle, and leave it up in the cab near the front hatch, so is easy enough to pass through connect to the winch and all done, I can actually do it without leaving the boat.

Yes I use 50am anderson plugs

And it laso doesn't matter who's vehicle we use to tow my boat.

Also no cahnce of a battery being stolen off the trailer !