Help In Deciding On Combo Unit

Jason Sunn

Hi All,

I am looking for a bit of advice on my next intended purchase.

I am looking at getting a combo unit (GPS+Sounder) and have been looking at 2 options.

Option 1 is the Lowrance new HDS 5 unit

Option 2 is the Garmin 550s unit.

Has anyone had any dealings with these units? Both are the same price, but I have been told by 1 person that the Lowrance Sounders are better then the equiv Garmin units (as Lowrance has been doing them longer.)

Any advice would be appreciated as they are both the same price.

Cheers and Thanks Sunnyboy1

Hey, i have always had Lowrance and swear by them,I have the HDS 5 and an loving it!

Like xtosea i cant say anything negative about Garmin cause i havent had any experience with them.

I have tried many brands and now only Buy Garmin....recently i had it running in conjuction with a Furuno 585...and the Garmin 178c was showing me more then the Furuno....hard to beleive but true

I have tried many brands and now only Buy Garmin....recently i had it running in conjuction with a Furuno 585...and the Garmin 178c was showing me more then the Furuno....hard to beleive but true

I reckon it would be a great idea for a fishing or boating mag to set up a direct comparison - Garmin/Lowrance/Humminbird etc etc - all of equivalent specification/price on the one boat and check out the capabilities of each. I for one would be very interested. I personally run a Lowrance combo, but if i had my choice over would go for a separate sounder and separate GPS.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by Bonehead

Hi All,

Thanks for the advice, the only reason I was looking at a combo unit as the cost of the combo is generally about $400 cheaper than the seperate units.

Agree though, would love a fishing mag to do a side by side comparasin.

Cheers Sunnyboy