Bending Aluminium

FishDrought

G'Day Raiders,

Hoping someone could advise me on the best way straighten bent Aluminium? is it best to do it either cold or using some heat?

I unfortunately had a run in with an unmarked post over the weekend that bent the anchor roller ( I think it is called the bow sprit? at the front of my tinny) it jammed the Anchor against the sides of the roller bending them out of shape. I am about to try & re-bend it but I was wanting to find some info before I attempt it.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance

Jas

Mate you can certainly try it cold but my advise to you if you heat up the alloy be very carefull that you do not over heat it cause it will collapse like crackers cause as you may not know alloy does not change colour when heated.

Cheers

Mate you can certainly try it cold but my advise to you if you heat up the alloy be very carefull that you do not over heat it cause it will collapse like crackers cause as you may not know alloy does not change colour when heated.

Cheers

Thanks mate, I was thinking of very mild warming just to ease the side plates back into place but I might just give them a bit of softly softly with the mallet to start with & see if the start to shape up again.

Cheers for the advice.. I want to go back out check that post too, see why there were no markers on it.