First Ever Squid!

tevoro

G'day Raiders!

(First fishing report.. please bear with me)

I've often read that catching squid is a really enjoyable experience, read and tried to do exactly what Slinkymalinky wrote about squiding

And more recently, inspired by a thread started by Penguin on Botany Celephods, I decided to get some squid jigs and drag a mate out, brave the cold, and head to the North side of the Harbour bridge.

Both of us being new fishos, we had no idea what to expect!

After 20 minutes of casting and retrieving without any takes, I must admit interest was waning.

Just as we were about to give up, we managed 2 decent hookups.

post-10093-1242650234_thumb.jpg

and

post-10093-1242650269_thumb.jpg

Did a salt and pepper on them.. oh happy times..

Would love it if the experts out there could provide some other spots to squid from!

Edit: Added pics, thanks monch.

Edited by tevoro

HI MATE NICE

ANY WAY I AM ONLY NEW TO SQUIDING MY SELF HOW EVER I HAVE LEARN A FEW THINGS

- BIG SQUID WILL ALMOST ALWAYS TAKE LIVE YT OVER JIG

-SQUIDING IS BETTER WHEN THERE IS NO MOON

- DONT BE TIGHT AND GET GOOD JIGS

-RETRIVE SLOW AS POSSIBLE

-GET THE LIGHTEST ROD AS POSSIBLE

GOOD LUCK

Good on you for snaring your first squid, always a thrill to get your first, it is a patience thing and with this success will come for you, I have spun for an hour sometimes for none , then caught 6-7 in the next 20 mins.

Congrats mate..

Cheers..

The spit bridge is worth a try, has never failed me yet.

Good luck

Where abouts at the Spit bridge? North side, or south side where the boats are moored?

I'm landbased.

Nice squid mate!!

when were you fishing

I went at night, at about 8pm. Low tide, brightish moon though.

Top report! I love all these new topics about successful squidding sessions.

Good job on your first squids! I have still yet to catch one myself, I hope I'll be as lucky as you next time I go.

And yes, I gotta agree with you, squidding is really enjoyable, just slowly retrieve the lure while you chat away with friends or the fisherman beside you.

:thumbup: Congrats on your first squid(s)

Should try the hacking

Wally's wharf, Lilli point and lilli pilli baths, Warumbul, Gunnamatta baths, jibbon beach and Bass n flinders

Good luck

Lilli Pilli Point? would that be in that reserve which has a lot of paths leading down to the water's edge? Right in front of the boating channel.

Lilli Pilli Point? would that be in that reserve which has a lot of paths leading down to the water's edge? Right in front of the boating channel.

Its just infront of the carpark when your going to the wharf and walk to the left where there is some grassy park and then down to the rocks and also toward the baths all along the rocks

Its just infront of the carpark when your going to the wharf and walk to the left where there is some grassy park and then down to the rocks and also toward the baths all along the rocks

Ah yes, I've ventured there before, omg those oysters are scary to trek thru though.

I'm more afraid of snagging on to those oysters, so I don't fish there at all. But I caught an octopus on there before.