50lb Braid To What Strength Mono?

tan the fisherman

Gday Raiders,

YARRAONE: I dont mean to hijack your post, I got a similar question!

I have a question similar to Yarrones question about joining braid to mono.

I have a BTR6500 which I use for kingies, sharks etc It is half spooled with 50lb braid. I wanted to fill the rest of the spool with line but I need help with the following questions:

1. What line to fill the spool with: mono or braid?

If mono, will 30lb be ok? as I have a heap of it. It is alot thicker in diameter than the braid.

If braid what strength: I have a full spool of 80lb braid - should I remove the 50lb, spool up the 80lb and topshot with the 50lb?

2. What knot to join the lines with? Is there a different knot for braid to braid vs. braid to mono?

Thanks raiders,

Tan

Edited by tan the fisherman

Anthony, Thanks for your reply and information.

Here are some q's and responses:

"Firstly, are you saying you want to top shot the spool with mono? If so, Can I ask if there is a reason for this?"

Because Im trying to make the best of what I have without spending $$ - been made redundant.

"Firstly, if you still want to maintain all the advantages of braid, but want to fill up your spool (I assume it is a bit low on line?), I would remove the braid then back fill MORE MONO beneath the braid, then put the braid back on the reel. I would use the equivelant pound mono, such as 50lb. That way you maintain the same breaking strain if you were to ever have a good fish take you right down to the mono backing line."

Can I fill with 30lb on the bottom and 50lb braid on top - goes against what I know but I thought I'd ask.

"80lb braid is massive overkill for a 6500 and not neccessary. The heavier lines classed are really cumbersome on these reels and will ultimatley be a pain to use and effect your overall hook up rate..."

This is what I thought but I wanted to use what I have rather than spending more $$

Thanks for the info on the knots - looks like many lonely nights in the garage coming up perfecting the knots.