Barra Baitcaster

gretsch

I am heading up north in November and the only outfit I don't have is an overhead barra combo.

I am sweet rodwise as I have several good blanks hanging around in the rod building room. I need a reel to suit a 4-8kg 6'6" fast action rod.

Any suggestions? I am happy to spend serious dough...

Edited by Cephalopod

With your taste for fine engineering mate, it's hard to make a recommendation but for creek barra fishing up north I prefer low profile reels to barrel style baitcasters. What about a Daiwa Steez?

If you're going impoundment bashing I'd PM GregL... he's a regular so will know what to use.

Cheers, Slinky

The 7.3 retrieve ratio might be a pain for Barra fishing. I haven't done it much but one of the keys to getting hits is to keep the lure in the strike zone as long as possible by doing more twitching than retrieving.

A slower retrieve ratio makes it a whole lot easier (I know you can wind more slowly but I had more control with a slower reel than my 6.3:1 Abu the first time I chased Barra.)

They do look lovely though, don't they?

Cheers, Slinky

Hi Chris

Fingers crossed theres one sitting on my desk when I get to work in the morning :biggrin2:

Steez is my fav out of them but is a fresh water reel only and I have been warned not to use it in the salt at all.....Nothing casts like these babies!

The Zillion PE special is a very nice reel and is a heap better than the standard zillions.

Haven't tried the Shimano's with the DC on them so I can't comment.

Greg

I like that Daiwa TD-Zillion PE special .. there is one in stock too!

So the 7.3 ratio is too quick! That is a shame because they look the goods!! I will have a look at the Calais and Revo as well just to compare.

GUDude, I like to spend up on fishing gear!! Just a hobby of mine.. I know there are cheaper reels out there that perform just as well but I do love the bling and besides, GregL needs a competitor!!! :tease:

Thanks for all the info.

Mate the 7.3 is in finally, what a wepon!

Only thing I don't like about it is the amount of finger prints that stay on it. Reminds me of the Shimano Calias and their paint job but in black.

The other toy I got was the Ryoga Bay jigger to play around the the Pirate style jigs. Now that's one nice piece of fishing gear! This thing is so solid! Can't wait to go hit the wrecks this winter with it.

Greg