Oven Steamed Snapper

david88

hey guys, just thought id let you know how i cooked my snapper tonight as it was pretty tasty.

now i dont claim this to be an authentic chinese recipe or anything because i made it up from little bits that were suggested by my friends.

1. Ok so scale and gut the fish, wash it and pat it dry inside and out.

2. cut slits aprox 1 cm deep every 2cm down the side of the flesh.

3. double over a large sheet of foil and grease inside with peanut or sesame oil.

4. make a bed of chopped red and green chillie, thinly shredded ginger, chopped garlic, white onions, thinly chopped shallot (the shoot), white pepper and garlic shoots if available.

5. lay the fish down on the bed, fill cavity with some of the above ingredients and pile a layer ontop of the fish.

6. sprinkle with sessame seeds, a little sessame oil, decent amount of soy sauce, a small amount of rice wine vinegar

7. fold sides of foil up and roll together to make a sealed foil package to keep the steam in.

8. Bake at 220deg for aprox 5 min per cm thickness of fish, may vary.

9. open up foil package, lay fish on a plate and pour the juices and yummy steamed herb bits on top

10. top with crushed peanuts and dried onion or crispy garlic.

11. just before serving with rice, heat up some sessame and peanut oil in a pan until its really hot, just before smoking point, then pour over the top of the whole fish, (take care as it crackles)

12. serve with spoons, after eating the top fillet the whole spine can be pulled out in one go.

As i said i sorta made this recipe up from a basic flavour idea suggested by a friend so it should still taste pretty good if you remove a few ingredients if not available

Enjoy- chinese style snapper, david style. :biggrin2:

hey guys, just thought id let you know how i cooked my snapper tonight as it was pretty tasty.

now i dont claim this to be an authentic chinese recipe or anything because i made it up from little bits that were suggested by my friends.

1. Ok so scale and gut the fish, wash it and pat it dry inside and out.

2. cut slits aprox 1 cm deep every 2cm down the side of the flesh.

3. double over a large sheet of foil and grease inside with penus or sesame oil.

4. make a bed of chopped red and green chillie, thinly shredded ginger, chopped garlic, white onions, thinly chopped shallot (the shoot), white pepper and garlic shoots if available.

5. lay the fish down on the bed, fill cavity with some of the above ingredients and pile a layer ontop of the fish.

6. sprinkle with sessame seeds, a little sessame oil, decent amount of soy sauce, a small amount of rice wine vinegar

7. fold sides of foil up and roll together to make a sealed foil package to keep the steam in.

8. Bake at 220deg for aprox 5 min per cm thickness of fish, may vary.

9. open up foil package, lay fish on a plate and pour the juices and yummy steamed herb bits on top

10. top with crushed penuts and dried onion or crispy garlic.

11. just before serving with rice, heat up some sessame and penut oil in a pan until its really hot, just before smoking point, then pour over the top of the whole fish, (take care as it crackles)

12. serve with spoons, after eating the top fillet the whole spine can be pulled out in one go.

As i said i sorta made this recipe up from a basic flavour idea suggested by a friend so it should still taste pretty good if you remove a few ingredients if not available

Enjoy- chinese style snapper, david style. :biggrin2:

that sounds really delicious...

except for the "penus" oil :074: