Outboard Problem

Wantingaboat

Hi All,

Had an issue with the outboard stalling yesterday. I must say before i write more that the engine is overdue for a service but i cant afford it at the moment. I will do it as soon as i get some cashola together. When i started the engine, pull start by the way, it would idle for a while then stall. This happened for a few times and i put it down to being cold. I drove from Drummoyne to Balmoral and it happened again but this time when it was in gear and going very slowly. So its obviously nothing to do with the warmth of the engine. All day i had issues with starting it as i needed to put give the tiller steer a fair bit of juice or else it would kick over and stall in rapid succession. Also if i reduced the throttle as much as it could to change it into gear it would stall not allowing me to get into drive and move anywhere. I had to put it into forward gear with the revs up slightly which cant be good for the engine. Now here comes the strange part. I got home and parked it in the driveway and hooked up the flusher. It ran beautifully and didnt stall???? Weird. Does anyone have any idea whats going on? I checked the bulb and fuel was being fed fine, there was plenty of petrol... Also the motor is about 5 months old so its not broken i hope. Its a 3 clylinder 2 Stroke merc 40Hp. I think it has 3 cylinders anyway. I appreciate any help.

Cheers Mike.

i would check the condition of your spark plugs. I dare say, if it is only 5 months old, but overdue for service, you'll probably just need to clean/replace the plugs.

Can't quite explain why it worked fine on the flusher in the driveway, my only thought is that with a bit of a run before heading in for the day, your burnt off a bit of the crap that can gum up your plugs...

either way, checking the plugs (remove, clean, refit) is free, so it won't cost you anything, and it'll give you something to do while your saving up the cash for a service. Re-test it in the driveway on the flusher before next launch...

If it has plenty of power when the throttle is opened up then there is probably not too much wrong with it. My guess would be it needs a bit of a carby adjustment/ clean.

If it's new it had should have a service at around 10hrs. The carby tune should be checked as part of this as well as the head being re-tensioned.

Sounds to me like something as simple as a crack or split in one of your fuel lines. Check them all carefully where they are fastened, both from tank to motor inlet and also the fuel lines inside the cowl running from carby etc.

Happened to me ages ago with a previous near new engine.Just found the split and cut the line a bit shorter & all was fixed.

Cheers, Tuffy.

Thanks for the comments so far. Yes i checked the fuel line as i had read in someone elses post a while ago that may be the issue. Its was still in perfect condition. Billfisher it still ran at a good speed 65km/hr at WOT. I might get someone that knows more than me to check the plugs. I realise it was supposed to be serviced but i just dont have the de niro at the moment.

you could try checking the plugs yourself - i'm no mechanic but it's not too hard. You could use the lawnmower as practice, just like i did (it has one single plug, and the process for removal is the same).

take off your cowling, locate the plugs (if in doubt, follow the leads that are thick and have a "cap" on the end, remove the cap and you will see the spark plug contact) slot your socket (preferably a spark plug socket, it has a little rubber cushion inside it, they are about $3.50 at supercheap auto and the like) and unscrew it. If it is pitted at the contact point, sludgy, or burnt out you found the problem.

If you have someone you know/trust, by all means get them to check the plugs for you, but still have a crack at the lawnmower for practice, you may need to know how to one day on the water..

I agree with Billfisher though, it may be a carby adjustment issue, nothing really "wrong" just needs to be "tuned". I should've thought of that, but i'm in the world of EFI, and forgot about carbys altogether. (if you want to know how a carby works, go attack the lawn mower ;-) )

Edited by toxicfish

Wantingaboat,

How fresh is the fuel? It wouldn't be the same age as the outboard (5 months old) would it ? If it is, the octane rating has changed which means under load the motor will run very poorly.

Evets

Ok you guys are champions. Just for everyones info and why i am stumped. The fuel is about a week old. The oil is the quicksilver stuff musty mentioned and its mixed at 50:1 cos it has been run it already. The fuel is 100% unleaded with no ethanol as well. The reason its very weird was that i was out the Tuesday before using the same tank with the same mix same petrol and it wasnt happening. Do the spark plugs seize up or stop working properly just from sitting there? I dont own one of those spark plug remover things and dont own a lawnmower as i live in a concrete jungle. So no learning on that. The way i like it. Not really just cant afford any grass. Musty i was hoping John could help but i have rang him so many times lately to help and give advice i thought i would put it to the forum first. Can you do a carby tune up on your own or is that mechanics only?

Cheers, Mike.

Musty i have messaged Huey for a quote which is where i will take it when i can afford a service but there is another slight issue. I live in Leichhardt and Hueys is up near Cowan Creek and thats a fair drive. (Not sure if you remember but i tow my tinny with a little Yaris. Its loving the work between my house and Drummoyne boat ramp but thats only about 15mins. i am slightly worried that longer drive, closer to an hour, might give the engine more hurt than she can handle. For someone who has never changed a spark plug i think you are right to leave it to the mechanics. Cheers. Mike.

G'day Mike ,

As Pel said , take it nice and easy , and the Yaris will take your boat just about anywhere.

I cannot recommend Huetts Marine enough , it is well worth the drive . Huey will give you the good oil ( pardon the pun ) on what ails your engine. If you are not at all mechanically minded , dont muck about with the engine. You could do long term harm .

Ross