Can I Remove A Front Seat?

Kiwi Dan

Gday raiders,

After looking through a lot of peoples projects and the work people have done on there boats it has inspired me to have a go at mine. Now I must say, when it comes to reno's im about a 2 out of 10.

When I fish solo there is more then enough room, but when there is 1 or 2 others with me things start to get a little cluttered. I want to make use of the space under the floor like many others do/have.

Now, a friend of mine is looking at making me a new centre console unit, failng that ill buy one. While i was looking at the layout of my boat I was wondering whether or not it would be possible for me to remove the front seat/beam of my boat? Is it neccessary to keep this seat? A friend thought that this seat may prevent the boat from twisting/buckling or something like that. If it is for structual strength I was thinking maybe we could reinforce the console etc.

The boat is 4.7m long, any advice would be appreciated.

this is the seat id like to remove under the console.

post-4176-1243816370_thumb.jpg

Excuse the mess - to the front is another shot of the seat to remove

post-4176-1243816382_thumb.jpg

A full length shot of the boat.

post-4176-1243816406_thumb.jpg

Dan,

Dont remove the beam - you will destroy the structural integrity of the hull.

You can remove whatever is mounted to/on the beam but dont cut the beam!!

Do you think I could cut into the beam? Maybe make it into a storage compartment.

Do you think I could cut into the beam? Maybe make it into a storage compartment.

I was thinking about that. You may be able to cut out the top surface and insert a container of some kind. Then use the cut out piece as the lid. You would need internal hinges I would imagine.

I would seek the advice of Gary at Seriously Stainless

SERIOUSLY STAINLESS

Cnr Wiblin and Vore St, Silverwater NSW 2128

seriouslystain@optusnet.com.au

Rocket launchers, custom made live bait tanks, tuna tubes and anything else stainless steel you need

Gary Bricknell

* PH 0438264377

* FAX 99480541

Hey Dan,

As the seat is acting as a spreader I would expect that the lateral force is greatest across the top of the seat. As such if you cut into tthe top of the seat you will render it liable to being crushed if a large knock or wave hits the side of the boat. I suggest that if you are going to cut into any section that you re-inforce the cuts with angle iron or some other style of re-inforcement.

Maybe even drop a custom made box into the cut and then secure it tightly with rivets or screws. If you know anyone that can weld aluminium even better.

Cheers Jason