Which Alvey For Me?

BeachAngler

I have been rock and beach fishing for quite some time but continually find I am dissapointed with threadline reels, particularly casting distance and their predisposition to sand getting everywhere.

I am researching my options with Alvey, and am looking at the 650B, with my main preference being the 6500BCVRR which I think has the best features for what I want.

Can anybody with experience with these models give me a little feedback on your experience with them?

Many Thanks.

I have been rock and beach fishing for quite some time but continually find I am dissapointed with threadline reels, particularly casting distance and their predisposition to sand getting everywhere.

I am researching my options with Alvey, and am looking at the 650B, with my main preference being the 6500BCVRR which I think has the best features for what I want.

Can anybody with experience with these models give me a little feedback on your experience with them?

Many Thanks.

any 650 alvey with a drag are good for beach and rock but you need a rod to match [7144] with a low winch mount

peter :1fishing1:

Hi Beach angler Alvey's have always been an excellent allrounders to use as a rock and beach reel compared to any spinning reel.... The older stainless steel backed 650c's with star drag are more solid and are not too heavy for a sporty medium 7 wrap snyder 7144 for example and the old large spool 661c surf champions which I also have suit my heavy 12' ugly stik high mount and my 8 wrap 14' 10" low mount butterworth rod... These Alveys are still available in mint condition, and compared with the new models, and although they call them a collectors item, they go for much less than you would expect to pay for that quality......

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

plus alveys just dont break. i recently found my old alveys, which an elderly neighbour gave me some 10 years ago after her husband died, in my dads garage. they were covered in sand, salt and watever else had grown on them... took them apart, gave a quick service and some modifications and they work a dream. i use one for blackfishing now.

I'll be matching it with my 4144 or 8144 depending on what I am chasing.

I really do like the look and inclusions of the 6500BCVRR. It does cost a little more, but nothing compared to a good quality spinning reel.

I will keep my medium mount rods rather than switch over to low mount rods, I dont see the need to spend money on new rods as well at this stage considering my others are still in great condition.

I think my best bet is to head down to my local store and look at them up close. I like the fact the 6500BCVRR has a drag system and the fact is has a fast or slow retrieve handle setup.

Edited by BeachAngler

post-7811-1243929332_thumb.jpgive got the 650c5 star drag that i use off the rocks 4 drummer, groper and bream and i gota say its tuff as nails, its even had a few spills with me after an arguement with a wave or 3! :1prop: ull go a long way to get a tougher reel than a alvey.

I will keep my medium mount rods rather than switch over to low mount rods, I dont see the need to spend money on new rods as well at this stage considering my others are still in great condition.

I (respectfully :)) suggest that you reconsider that and think about getting a low mount rod. You will probably find that the bottom runner will be [a] too small; and too close to the reel and you will get reduced casting distance and tangles at the bottom runner as a result. The Alvey produces big loops of line and you need a good distance to the bottom runner, which should be big enough to cope with the big loops. You will also find that the lower mount is better suited to the Alvey, ergonomically.

Having said that, who says rules can't be bent?! :)

In fact, I recall many years ago seeing an article in one of the fishing mags, which compromised on runner size and had both a low and a medium mount, so the rod could be used with either an Alvey or a threadline. Might be worth considering modifying the rods slightly if you want to save $$$. (?)

Good luck and tight lines!

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

G'day BeachAngler,

Just to follow up from what Berleyguts mentioned and say that if you get yourself an Alvey, you really will need to get a rod to suit it. The position and size of the first runner is a major difference in a rod set up for a side cast and without it you'll never be happy with the set up.

On the subject of casting distance, an Alvey isn't really going to be the solution to your problems either (in fact it will get a lot worse without a suitable rod). The biggest advantages of an Alvey lie in their simplicity and durability. Sand, salt water and rough handling aren't an issue compared to your average spin reel.

I have a few Alveys and rods to suit. You might find a 650 is a bit unbalanced on a 4144... I consider using a 5" Alvey. The 650 is a perfect match for the 8144.

If you want a more versatile outfit though, I'd really seriously consider a 7144.

Cheers, Slinky

Well my local does have some rods with those BIG wire first guides which I believe are Alvey suited and they are only about $100 or so I might grab one with the reel.

If worst comes to worst I can always get away with the rods I have for now.

I've got a 650BC with the lever drag. Had it for over 10 yrs now. Gotta be honest, it's pretty much been neglected, don't think I've ever had it apart for service etc. and still works fine. Iv'e used it in a few different applications and never had a drama with it.

While we're on the topic of alveys, some have lever and some have star drag, what's the difference in terms of advantage/disadvantage of either?

:beersmile::beersmile::beersmile:

Well I ended up getting the 650c5 star drag. Couldn't be happier it looks as tough as nails and feels solid.

Will give it a run this weekend.

It's spooled with 22lb Platypus Lo-Stretch mono which I use on all my other outfits and I am extremely happy with.

Good reel choice BeachAngler!

I've been using and abusing my 650C5 for 20 years now and its a trojen!!! You might just have to change drag washers every 10 years or so... :1prop:

Enjoy :thumbup:

Smitty...

Smitty,

I gave her a run today down at Austinmer rocks for some drummer, only small ones no legals but I will ill prepared with no berley (spur of the moment thing - we actually went grocery shopping!)

Since I got it I have landed my PB bait bream and a stonker flattie, lovely reel.