Installing A Kill Switch.

Kiwi Dan

Hello all

Now for the 2nd question on my long list.

I have a push button on my centre console that starts my engine. When I turn the engine off I need to press a button which is on the engine. I want to install a kill switch on on my centre console so I dont need to keep going to the back of the boat to turn the engine off.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Is there some sort of assembly or kit that I can buy?

The button to turn the engine on is on the right of the unit.

post-4176-1243910901_thumb.jpg

Any advice is appreciated.

Hi Kiwi Dan....Rather than going to the trouble of adding a kill switch Danny, it might be a better idea just to install a battery isolator switch close and handy... You can turn the isolater switch to the off position on the water and also to turn the battery off when the boat is not being used .... You could always add a second starter battery later as security against battery failure if you wanted to and for a boat that wouldn't have a lot of battery consumption during a night session, there's no need to go to the expense of buying a deep cycle battery just to use as a back up starter battery....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Hi Kiwi Dan....Rather than going to the trouble of adding a kill switch Danny, it might be a better idea just to install a battery isolator switch close and handy... You can turn the isolater switch to the off position on the water and also to turn the battery off when the boat is not being used .... You could always add a second starter battery later as security against battery failure if you wanted to and for a boat that wouldn't have a lot of battery consumption during a night session, there's no need to go to the expense of buying a deep cycle battery just to use as a back up starter battery....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Hi Jewgaffer

Im not worried about the battery going flat and im not going out to buy a deep cycle battery mate.

I just want to install a switch on my steering console that will turn the engine off when I get to my fishing destination etc. For example when im squidding at night on the drift I push the button on my console to start the engine and then when i get back to the start of my drift I need to walk down the back to the engine to turn it off. I just want to be able to turn it off from the console.

Edited by Kiwi Dan

Dan, you need to extend the wires from the existing kill switch to a new switch on your console. It's not real hard but all wiring joins and terminals need to be waterproof, also your new wires need to be protected from damage or flexing 'cos a break or a short means you're not going anywhere. The new switch should be located where it cannot be accidentally activated. A marine electrician is your best bet but with care it can be done DIY.

Jimi.

Dan, you need to extend the wires from the existing kill switch to a new switch on your console. It's not real hard but all wiring joins and terminals need to be waterproof, also your new wires need to be protected from damage or flexing 'cos a break or a short means you're not going anywhere. The new switch should be located where it cannot be accidentally activated. A marine electrician is your best bet but with care it can be done DIY.

Jimi.

Ripper thanks Jimi.

An electrician mate of min is coming over to do all of the other electricals so i thought id add this to the list of things for him to do. It doesnt sound to hard from what youve said above.

If it does break or there is a short does it mean the engine wont start or not turn off?

It will turn off and not restart

When your mate does it get him to show you the connector where you can disconnect it if you are troubleshooting on the water. Extensions on kill switches and kill switches in general have left a lot of people stranded.

Get him to use tinned wire if starting from scratch but there is probably kits on the net or parts of a original wiring loom off a wrecked boat at a wrecker. Ensure the wires are well insulated and supported under the gunnel or in a conduit and up to your console.