Fishfinder & Lights Etc. In Small Tinny?

Berleyguts

Hi,

I have an old 10ft punt with an even older 6hp outboard. I want to run an inexpensive fishfinder and am wondering how to power it. I assume that the motor cannot charge the battery (needs a magneto or something?). Would I need to use a gel-cell battery or similar and recharge at home?

I also would like to wire up lights rather than using the current lights which are powered by D cell batteries. How to power?

Also, any suggestions for a suitable fishfinder? I have been looking at Eagle, Humminbirds etc. around the $200-$250 mark. Am I better off holding off until I can afford a combo unit, with GPS? Or is GPS not so important when I'd be mainly fishing the upper Hawkesbury/Berowra Creek, Georges River/Botany Bay, Port Hacking, maybe Middle Harbour (near Roseville)? I think there are some fishfinders that you can add a GPS accessory to later, so maybe that would be the way to go? (The :wife: will only let me spend so much at a time. ;))

Thanks,

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Hi,

I have an old 10ft punt with an even older 6hp outboard. I want to run an inexpensive fishfinder and am wondering how to power it. I assume that the motor cannot charge the battery (needs a magneto or something?). Would I need to use a gel-cell battery or similar and recharge at home?

I also would like to wire up lights rather than using the current lights which are powered by D cell batteries. How to power?

Also, any suggestions for a suitable fishfinder? I have been looking at Eagle, Humminbirds etc. around the $200-$250 mark. Am I better off holding off until I can afford a combo unit, with GPS? Or is GPS not so important when I'd be mainly fishing the upper Hawkesbury/Berowra Creek, Georges River/Botany Bay, Port Hacking, maybe Middle Harbour (near Roseville)? I think there are some fishfinders that you can add a GPS accessory to later, so maybe that would be the way to go? (The :wife: will only let me spend so much at a time. ;))

Thanks,

Baz

hi i have a eagle 242 and it draws only 250milliy amps it will run for a long time on even a small battery .i think they are called a eagle cuda 300 or a cuda 350s with gps $190 to $ 399 depending where you buy . go with led nav light as they draw very little power i would say you could run them and fishfinder off a car battery for a day or to fishing .cheers pappy1

I personally wouldnt be spending a heap of money on a sounder if you are only fishing local waters, IE just the river.

You can pick up a half decent sounder that would do the job for about $150. I wouldnt look at spending more than that. As for a GPS, do you really need it if you fish the river...? If you prefer one, just buy like a garmin hand held one for around $150 and runs on AA batteries and you can take it out of the tinny when you want.

My mate has a little tinny, and it has a seperate marine battery to run the lights. I would just buy a couple of long LED lights, or Fluro lights (and stick them under the rim of the top of the tinny) so the light doesnt shine in your eyes. Fluros do this but provide heaps of light. Fluro will set you back about $10 each and use no power whatsoever. Then just silicon them on and run the wires to the battery (they often come with clips that go straight onto the battery from Supercheap)

Cover the battery up with a board/sheet from the seat to the back of the boat for example.

Hope this helps.

Hi Baz,

For a different option I would suggest the following.

Set up you lights with new led lights and fluro's inside for a cabin light. These both draw bugger all current and as such you won't need a huge battery.

Connect them all up to a couple of common terminals + to +ive and - to -ive) and put this all in a box with 2 lugs on the outside. (Can get a box from any electronics store).

Then get one of those battery jump starter units (which you can pick up for a reasonable price at any auto store), take the jumper alligator clips and attach to the lugs on the box and there is your power. As an added advantage these units usually have a light and are easily portable with a handle in a fully sealed unit, you then just remove from the boat at the end of the day and plug into a wall to re-charge.

Cheers Sunnyboy

Great ideas, thanks! I particularly like the jump-starter pack idea. That could come in handy when my Kombi battery runs flat too!

I'm heading to Wiseman's on the weekend and will just have my battery-operated nav lights, if needed (although at night, I'll probably be at the van :beersmile: . You're right, I don't think I'll need a GPS unit most of the time. A small Cuda sounder will probably do the trick.

Cheers,

Baz

Edited by Berleyguts

Great ideas, thanks! I particularly like the jump-starter pack idea. That could come in handy when my Kombi battery runs flat too!

I'm heading to Wiseman's on the weekend and will just have my battery-operated nav lights, if needed (although at night, I'll probably be at the van :beersmile: . You're right, I don't think I'll need a GPS unit most of the time. A small Cuda sounder will probably do the trick.

Cheers,

Baz

if you do night fishing the gps will be handy esprcially if weather turns bad ie fog/heavy rain. u can just retrace the route that u took to get to your fishing spot

I have a 10ft tinnie and i have a hummingbird paranha max 220 fish finder and i use a 12 volt motor cycle in which i connect allagator clips to the battery it draws very little power and i would run led lights as well it is a brighter light and uses very little power and last twice as long,i only payed a couple of hundred dollars for fish finder good luck

cheers delboy030767 :1fishing1::1fishing1::1fishing1: