Too Much Oil In The Tank & Flushing Silencers

FishDrought

G'day Raiders,

A couple of quick questions if anyone if feeling generous to respond with ideas.

I recently purchased an exhaust silencer for my 40 Suzuki two stroke during flushing as the neighbour has been chucking a tantrum when I wash it, mind you they are the first to ask about & accept any spare fish.

Anyway I tried it for the first time yesterday & the motor would just not run while it was on. Has anyone used or uses the silencers? what am I doing wrong? I fit the cap into the port, strap the cord over the blade & tighten up the seal on the cap.

Is that wrong? the place I bought it from are absolutely hopeless in giving any information about the product other than "yes sir that is the correct product for your motor", so any info would be appreciated.

That brings me to the second question

My mate asked if he could use the boat for a couple of outing which of course is no problem, the motor runs a 50:1 ratio as per normal and that info & full tank of gas was passed along. but some how this is forgotton & he has been running at 25:1 or more :mad3: when I flushed the boat the street disappeared in a cloud of oil smoke which did nothing to improve the relationship with the neighbour.

The question is what is better try to drain the tank & correct the fuel mix or do I just let the tank run through as there is about 3/4s of a tank left I could add 1/4 of straight unleaded to dilute it a bit....

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Jason

:ranting2: Two weeks after the fact my mate remembers to tell me he washed the salt spray off the boat but forgot to flush the motor. you have to love your mates right hahaha :biggrin2:

be careful do not try to dilute the mix as it could go very wrong and you might have another issue on your hands.

I would drain and mix correctly and once this is done change the spark plugs as they will be pretty oiled up also.

With the silencer i am not sure i have never used one.

Not running on the silencer may be caused by the oil mixture 25:1 to rich also.

If your ramp has a tap you could flush it there then bring it home to wash.

Hi Jason, on the fuel / oil mixture I would use the fuel elsewhere and start again at 50:1 with good quality oil-that makes a difference to how the outboard runs. As for the muffler, we use here in the workshop and they work well, not sure why your engine would not run with one except for as Johno said having a 25:1 mixture the outboard does not like and by blocking the exhaust with the muffler it could make it not run.

Cheers,

Huey.

If you dont know the mix in the tank dispose of the fuel as it isn't worth screwing a motor for $40 of fuel.

The idling issue is probably just the symptom from too much oil in the fuel.

Get the correct fuel mix and use a quality semisynthetic oil and run the boat on the water pretty hard for half a day. I would then consider running a can of engine tuner through it as well as the extra oil can gum up rings and cause carbon deposits. After doing that I would inspect and probably change out the plugs if they show any signs of wear or carbon build up.

The exhaust plugs are good and stop the 2 stroke crackle. They also give the motor the correct backpressure and should make it idle as if it was on the water. There is plenty of exhaust gas flow around the prop and through the idle port higher up on the leg.

There are ones that don't require a strap as they have a rubber ring and a expander screw that goes up the exhaust . I like those more as on many motors even in neutral the prop tries to turn slightly. A lot cheaper than agro with teh neihbours or moving house

I don't blame your neighbour at all as it is an offensive noise and is no different at a boat ramp as the noise travels over water a long way. If we want to keep boating we should all get an exhaust plug and make sure we only flush with motor at idle or just use manufacturers flush port with motor off. After all we go to the middle of the harbour and anchor up for 4 hours and don't flush the motor so you are getting as much scale then as what you would leaving it for an hour till you get home and can put it on the hose.

Edit Ahhhh Huey is quicker on the ol' keyboard and a bit more concise!!!

Edited by pelican

Thanks Guys,

I appreciate the info. I want to go the way of tossing out the old fuel but I don't know of anywhere to dispose of it? I don't have a fueled lawn mower so I am stuck as to how I can dispose of it legally of course

any ideas?

The silencers appear to be great but as you fella's have mentioned it might be mix problem.

Thanks for your responses.

Jas

Ask your local mechanic as most have an oil sump to put it in or some will run it in their parts washing machine.

Won't do a lot of harm to any old carby car if you only throw 10-15l into a full tank and use it pretty fast.

Edited by pelican

If your sure the tanks 25:1 or more it wouldn't hurt to dilute the tank with 1/4 of tank of fresh fuel. Or you could just run as it is. Most new motors have double oil for the run in period so it wont do any harm. I wouldn't waste money throwing all that fuel out.

To silence your outboard you don't have to buy one of those silencers. A wet rag or hessian bag over the exhaust will do the trick.