Ballina

moses

Hi mate I grew up in Ballina. It is technically an island as it's surrounded by water - bridge into town, then bridge out of town. There's fish everywhere. Plenty of flathead, whiting and bream around. But they can get some serious fish-kills after a lot of rain - I'm not sure what its like at the moment after the recent floods...

yeah im at byron and we copped it pretty bad but so far so good no fish kills reported as yet what is it like at east ballina the back way to byron i always see people fishing there at the bridge and where the water flows through the pipes aswell

Ok

Rock spots. Black Head at the Northern end of shelly beach. There is usually a gutter running along the rocks on the norther side. From half tide in to the top and just after this gutter sometime holds good Jew.

I have caught a few from here on hard bodied lures. Cast over the gutter retrieve slow when the swell pushes in and do not retrieve when it pushes out. This will keep your lure in the zone for a long time and use the swell to make it work.

On the south side of this headland and the headland at Lighthouse beach there is always a nice hole of water off the beach. These holes at this time of year with the tide rising and a northerly breeze on dust should produce good numbers of tailor. If the tailor are there so are the Jew slab a tailor and lob him out. Both these holes often hold good bream close to the rocks.

Beach:- If you can catch beach worms there are heaps on either Lennex or South Ballina. If you drive over the punt towards South Ballina, do not turn to go to south ballina, keep going almost down to Wardell. You will see a road that leads of to Patches Beach. The beach down this way always has better shape and fishes well. Should be lots of winter bream this time of year. Find a point of sand that has the rising tide washing over it into a deep hole or gutter fish as light as you can some movement is good and you should be able to get some good bream. My best from hear is 45cm.

River:- Believe it or not but the river bank in the main street near the new cafe's is one of the best Jew spot in the river. My brother and i have caught many good fish from this bank. I mainly fish it from my boat. If you go there during the last part of the run out. No moon and fish live mullet hard or soft bodied lures you should be getting fish. Pleanty of people fish this area and most will give u some help.

If you wander around in the shallow water above the bridge in North Creek and cast some soft plastic into the deeper water you should get Flathead.

This should get you started. There are lots more places. get out and try these and explore. Have fun

Cheers

no worries

I have fished in many places and know a few of them extremley well.

The Manning River, Richmond River, the area between Seals Rocks and Necastle. Sydney now for the past few years and the Shoal haven are all areas i know very well.

Cheers Kingpig

Moses,

sorry it took so long just to reply to your PM burley with what you fish with and make it approx 1 part weed to 3 or 4 parts fine beach or river sand glues together alot better when wet same principle wit hthe sea lettuce (cabbage) when you mix it cut it up first not too fine though, make sure the burley is wet and has a sticky pudding like mix consitency dry and it will float away taking the fish with it. Big coastal rivers like the Richmond you will find it pointles burleying until the run slows right of particuarly on the main wall. If it eddies round and round then you can apply a little more burley, there a spot at nambucca that it eddies on the wall and you kill them wit ha little judiscious burleying yet on the main wall it runs so hard at times it's pointless!

Hope this helps. :1fishing1: