Help Chosing 6-10kg Rod

hooklineandsinker

well im in the market for a rod in the 6-10kg range as i now have access to a boat

the rods im looking at are

ugly stick platinum 6-10 kg 1 pc at 120

live fibre 6-8 kg 1 pc at 179

a snapper raider 2 2 pc 6-8 kg at 159

and repala braid concept 8-15kg 2 pc at 279 kg range is higher but this rod is sensitive as

now the problem is im worried that if i buy either the snapper raider 2 or braid concept as they are thin and sensitive the large snapper leads we will be using will over work the rods and then with a fish as load it will be worse as the other two are much thicker and dont over bend the rod

i know the braid concept i much more fragile than the others and i think the snapper raider is carbon which would aslo make it fragile

i walked out of the shop after 30 mins browsing and drive off as i could not decide and did not want to make any bad call and get something i may regret

any one used these rods particularly the live fibre rod

or any better recommendations

im looking to chase kings ,dollies the good fighting fish

thanks mike :biggrin2:

well im in the market for a rod in the 6-10kg range as i now have access to a boat

the rods im looking at are

ugly stick platinum 6-10 kg 1 pc at 120

live fibre 6-8 kg 1 pc at 179

a snapper raider 2 2 pc 6-8 kg at 159

and repala braid concept 8-15kg 2 pc at 279 kg range is higher but this rod is sensitive as

....... now the problem is im worried that if i buy either the snapper raider 2 or braid concept as they are thin and

im looking to chase kings ,dollies the good fighting fish

thanks mike :biggrin2:

For good fighting fish there is only one rod to consider and it's yellow......U.S model Ugly stik Tiger 10- 50lb and would cost $150AU landed...,,,Live fibre would be my next choice and then the platinum which is made for the Aussie market....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

hi mike,it really depends what you are doin with your rods ,like the raider rod is made for casting plastic lures not sure what the rating is for that model,it would probably be 1/4 to1/2 ounce ,so if using heavier weights than that, you wont get the best out of the rod at best and break it at worst

maybe buy two rods one for casting lures and one for bottom bouncing

this is probably why we all have so many rods(i can just here my misus saying "why do you need so many rods !"lol

cheers arman

Just bought the live fibre 6-8k south australian series not had a chance to break it in yet but feels very nice. Matched it to a symetre 4000. Will be able to handle kings and good size snapper, nice and light but feels like it has a bit of power lower down.

Have fun deciding :1fishing1:

alasdair

G'day Mike,

If you're going to be bottom fishing with big leads (4oz upwards) don't go for a light spin stick. Use the casting weight that should be marked on the rod as a guide to what will be comfortable for the rod.

A Live Fibre is a great choice... don't know the 6-8kg blank but it may be a bit on the light side. Jewgaffer's much loved Tiger rods are suitable. The Rapala would probably be suitable and there's no problem with using a graphite rod... but with all the stories of broken Braid Concepts I've seen on Raider, I'd be cautious about getting one myself. There are plenty of other options... Ugly Stick, Silstar Crystal Blue,

Give Pete at Go Fish a call... let him know exactly where and how you're going to be fishing... and he'll set you right.

Cheers, Slinky

i have the uglystik USP-BWS22012 2 piece 6-10 KG and it is a fantastic rod imo, it gives you so much confidence and the warranty is hard to beat. "unbreakable under normal fishing conditions" for 10 years

hi mike,

what reel will be going on the rod?

All my bait fishing rods are live fibres, they are hard to beat for the price although the silstar crystal blues are a nice stick as well. If for example you will be running a baiteunner 4500 then I would suggest either the 8-10 or even 8-15kg live fibre, the 8-15 suits a 6500 nicely as well and is still sensitive.