Fishing Tomaree

dacobra

Fishraiders - has anyone fished Tomaree headland at Port Stephens? I mean the ledge to the north of the cleft. This is accessed by climbing to the top of the hill then dropping down a steep path to the ledge. A mate wants to give it a go but I have some reservations about the climb back out (perhaps with a bag of fish). They don't call it 'heart attack hill' for no reason. post-64-1111578426_thumb.jpg Anyone been there done that?

Guest Jocool

I've heard a lot about that ledge. Very productive LBG spot. But I don't think its a carry your fish out proposition! :thumbdown: Main tagets are bigger fish like giant Kings and beakies.

Good luck on that one Dacobra,I have only ever fished the ledges to the south of the cleft and have found that area a hell of a good.the biggest problem would be the drop down,I think that you may have to come in for there by going around the back of the lodge and following the shoreline along.

As far as fish go,well apart from longtails,cobia and sharks there will probably be jews,good enough for you?

simon

Thanks for the replies guys.

Clutch - I DONT have a death wish so the tinny stays inside the port!

Simon - might try to look at the south ledge first. Did you access it from Zenith beach or did you take the trail to the top of Tomaree and then head south? Many years ago I walked from the lodge around towards the cleft but the thick scrub stopped me so I am ruling out that route.

The trail is pretty well marked now,I think that the NPWS guys stepped in and threw a bit of cash at it.just get to the top of heart attack hill and follow it around to the right,take a few items with you to make life easier,just the standard LBG gear,bucket with 20 ft of rope,bread burley is a good idea,you will be casting out for slimeys (horse versions),they take white barrel sinkers and chrome slices (15g).A lanyard with a shackle is a good idea for a safety clip for you HD gear and one other tip.

The size of the tigers and the whalers that live here are very big.If it slows down and gets a bit boring,burley up using tuan or the like, I have slipped out whole bonito under wire and have spent a few hours getting stretched by biteys.

Only do this if no one else is LBG 'ing ,it is considered bad form to target biteys when other glamour fish are around!!. :biggrin2:

good luck\

simon