Tinnie And Motor Deleima

Longy

Hi Raiders,

Bought a 3.7 meter Brooker tinnie, was going to use a 15 hp motor we bought as an Aux for a 5.2 meter half cab, but problem is, I thought it was a long shaft outboard motor, but doing some measurements, I think it's actually an extra long shaft motor.

So if I try to put the motor on the back, the bottom of motor (propeller) touches the ground (when boat is on trailer and motor in down position).

Transom is 17"

Outboard shaft is 27"

What are my options? Can I use this motor? Can it be modified to reduce the shaft lenght as it does look like there is an extended section in the shaft or do I have to buy a short shaft outboard motor?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Long

post-3512-1244540466_thumb.jpg

post-3512-1244540480_thumb.jpg

Edited by Longy

If it's like my 6hp Johnson, you can remove that middle section you mentioned and shorten it but you need a shorter rod (don't know the correct part name) and you need to modify something else to do with the gear selection. A few years ago I was quoted $250 plus parts to convert my 6hp (a 1972 model) but the hard bit is finding the parts. I found the rod and had a go at it myself but had no idea how to modify the other bit. I recently had it done for a lot less by my Kombi mechanic's father, who likes tinkering with outboards.

Baz

As Above . You can check with wreckers for short shafts if you want to preserve yours or even buy a gearbox with shafts from a wrecker then you have a spare

If no luck or expensive PM me and I will put you onto an engineer who will cut and reweld both shafts so you use existing splines etc. It is quite simple.

Before you spend money or do anything are you 100% that the rest of the motor is otherwise OK?

Are you measuring from cavitation plate just above prop to the top underside of transom bracket?

Edited by pelican

The simplest way would to be to raise the transom.

PS: Don't drive the boat they way it is - you will put considerable strain on the motor and cause premature wear.

Edited by billfisher

Hi, as the guys have said your hull is S/S and the engine is L/S and the easiest fix is to raise your transom. Seriously Stainless could easy raise the transom and better for the outboard to be L/S because the powerehead is 5 inches higher out of the water. To do it the other way and convert your engine is a while new midsection and the engine is not worth spending that much on.

Cheers,

Huey.

In the case of my punt and my 6hp, I looked at raising the transom, which was straight across the back. I decided that the new height of the motor and tiller would make it uncomfortable to sit on the thwart and steer. I experimented with timber extensions clamped on - the motor ran a lot better as the prop was now at the right depth but it was uncomfortable to control the tiller. In the right position, the left hand falls naturally to the tiller. Something to think about perhaps.

I went with converting the motor because the guy I bought it off had had it converted from short shaft and found the original s/s rod for me. So parts cost was zero.

Good luck.

Baz

Thanks for all your advice.

If I was to buy a short shaft outboard, what would be the smallest (hp) motor suitable with a 3.7meter tinnie?

Regards,

Long

Edited by Longy