Jigging/livebait Setup Help

sanger

Hey guys.

I know this has been covered a fair few times but i'm interested if anyone has some opinions for me regarding these few specific bits of gear. It is primarily for use as a jigging outfit but im sure that i won't get out for a session nearly as much as i'd like so im sure it will also double as a live baiting setup for kingies or tuna. I want to go for a 2 piece setup so it can be packed into my surfboard case when i travel but still long and flexible enough to get a cast off. I know trying to do all these things with one setup is asking a bit much but if im going to outlay a fair bit of cash i'd like to get the most use out of it that i can.

I think i have narrowed my rod choice down to 2 but if anyone has any great suggestions don't hesitate

JigWreX Spin S605 1.83m 2piece Max PE5 MAX 300 gram

or

TCurve DEEP JIG 400 SPIN 1.73m 2piece 37 250-500 Gram

As for the reel im looking at a SW twinpower in 8000 or 12000

or if i win lotto a Sw Stella in 8000 or 12000.

Also i would love some opinions on Hg v's Pg

Thanks

Fishlexic!

Edited by fishlexic

Hey guys.

I know this has been covered a fair few times but i'm interested if anyone has some opinions for me regarding these few specific bits of gear. It is primarily for use as a jigging outfit but im sure that i won't get out for a session nearly as much as i'd like so im sure it will also double as a live baiting setup for kingies or tuna. I want to go for a 2 piece setup so it can be packed into my surfboard case when i travel but still long and flexible enough to get a cast off. I know trying to do all these things with one setup is asking a bit much but if im going to outlay a fair bit of cash i'd like to get the most use out of it that i can.

I think i have narrowed my rod choice down to 2 but if anyone has any great suggestions don't hesitate

JigWreX Spin S605 1.83m 2piece Max PE5 MAX 300 gram

or

TCurve DEEP JIG 400 SPIN 1.73m 2piece 37 250-500 Gram

As for the reel im looking at a SW twinpower in 8000 or 12000

or if i win lotto a Sw Stella in 8000 or 12000.

Also i would love some opinions on Hg v's Pg

I have the T-curve 400 spin it a great rod its got lots of grunt . I use mine for a few different fishing

situations . its great for jigging ,trolling, livebaiting and bottom bouncing. i have saragosa 18000 on

mine with about 450yds 80lb braid and it has caught a few big fish without a broblem.here it is hooked

up to 300lb shark

post-6149-1244585619_thumb.jpg

HI Mate,

T-Curves are great value for money, I own a Jig-200 and have put it through its paces on Samson off Perth. I would probably go the Jig Wrex as it does have a longer butt grip and higher handles grip, which places the reel a bit higher, if you are a tallish bloke then you will find it much easier to jig with and fight the fish. The T-Cruve has very short butt grip and lower handle positions.

One thing those jig rod won't be that great at casting but can still cast medium sized popper and stuff ok, but for down rigging and fishing lives off the boat would be great.

Cheers,

Sha

Thanks for the replys guys,

id love to get away with the combo for under a grand so ill check out the saragosa.

I've started to come round to the buy quality buy once kind of mentality with my gear thats why i was thinking about putting in the extra $ for the sw twinpower or sw stella.

Anyone used the jigwrex????

Hey mate long time no speak!

Anyway, I cubed last season using a JigWrex S526 on a SW20000PG Stella with some 80lb, plenty of fin on it up to 40kg...dont need to tell you how good the stella performed but the rod made fighting the fin a breeze...plenty of grunt in the butt to turn their heads...I havent used the Tcurve but id fully recommend the JigWrex. BUT...if you want to really concentrate on jigging/cubing fin then I think you'll appreciate the shorter JigWrex..the extra length of the Tcurve will probably give you a bit more distance on the cast but it might hurt a bit more in a long fight...

Dan

Thanks for that info dan!

Do you reckon an 8000 size would be ok for fin and jigging or would that be cutting it a bit fine?

Yeah its been a while mate, Im still in london at the moment but will be coming home before christmas. I still haven't been fishing since i've left aus as all the spare time i get near the water is taken up surfing instead. But seeing as though i haven't been fishing i haven't been spending any money on tackle so i figure i've saved up some cash that i would have spent on gear otherwise so i might as well buy myself a welcome home present.... that and im coming home through darwin to see my sister so i think i just might have to wet a line or two while im up there!!!!

Does anyone know if you can buy fishing gear duty free????

Edited by fishlexic

Most heavy jigging outfits use at least a 14000 size reel or above. 8000 might be a little small.

If you hook a decent fighting fish and it takes a run you want the comfort of having reasonable line capacity.

Don't forget you can drop down to the Spheros from the Saragosa and save a few dollars.

Have you considered an overhead for the jigging etc rather than a spinning reel?

Edited by BeachAngler

a rod you should look at is the daiwa catalina ,same money as the t curve but much easier on the body when you jig and when you fight fish because it has parabolic action ,ive used the tcurve 200 and 400 t curve and the catalini is much better for me

it is much less tiring

cheers arman

Thanks again for the opinions guys, ive had a little look at the catalinas but before i outlay my cash i will have to look some more.

Has anyone got one of the catalina 6500 matched up to a monstor mesh MM 582XHS-SIC or catalina CT 56S-8/10???? as im thinking this might be a great match that will be available for less money than a similar shimano twinpower 12000 jig wrex combo plus the catalina has more line capacity.

Any thoughts from those in the know????

mate if u are going to go with the catalina i would go and have a serious look at the monster mesh as they are a very soft rod depending on ur budget if it is high i would look at the hots range of rods

mate i just bought a jig wrex pe 6 one peice jig rod and matched it to a stella 20 000 SW with 80lb line, great setup but you wont have much change out $2000.

my next out fit will be an acurate single speed and custom jig rod, should be just over 1100 for the lot, maybe you should have look at something like that. that would fit the bill very nicely

mark

mate i just bought a jig wrex pe 6 one peice jig rod and matched it to a stella 20 000 SW with 80lb line, great setup but you wont have much change out $2000.

my next out fit will be an acurate single speed and custom jig rod, should be just over 1100 for the lot, maybe you should have look at something like that. that would fit the bill very nicely

mark

yeah 2k is to steep for me, thats why im starting to sway more towards a catalina 6500 and a monster mesh i think.... more like 1k. Has anyone used one of the catalina's?

Im a little hesitant about ordering a reel from os just because of the warranty issues if something goes wrong so the daiwa might get the nod over the twin power if i can get some feedback on their quality!

Damn this fishing thing is expensive sometimes!

Fishlexic,

I have a Trinidad 40N matched up to a custom GUSA 24kg spiral wrapped rod with ALPS reel seat and guides.

Built the rod myself and cost a little over $500 for the blank and all of the components. Not 2 piece but only 20 mm longer than my tcurve 200

40N cost $450. Loaded it with 50lb Jigman multi coloured braid.

Awesome set up. Has pleeeenty of grunt and IMHO ideal for jigging and live baiting. The 40N is almost an identical copy of the famous ocea jigger and has been designed for jigging. 33lb of drag straight out of the box. With a bit of tweaking I have been told that it can go 40lb+. And it is really really really smooth. Pick one up and you'll see what I mean

Steve

yeah 2k is to steep for me, thats why im starting to sway more towards a catalina 6500 and a monster mesh i think.... more like 1k. Has anyone used one of the catalina's?

Im a little hesitant about ordering a reel from os just because of the warranty issues if something goes wrong so the daiwa might get the nod over the twin power if i can get some feedback on their quality!

Anyone?

hey mate i just laybyed today a

pfleuger supreme p3 jig rod and saragosa 5000f it sounds like it would do the job for what you need it for all up it cost me just over 600 if youre keen you could even go a little higher and go the twinpower in an 8 and the rod will still be fine

my suggestion go into a decent size3d tackle store something like a go fish or you know the type of stores im talking bout there all overt the place talk to the guys in there thats youre best bet

Ok still looking into this guys, Now i just have a question regarding the jigging weights a certain rod will be able to handle.

I think i've narrowed it down to the monster mesh series of rod but now i want to choose between the 5"8 MM 582XHS-SIC Spin and the 6"3 MM 632MHS-SIC.

Im planning on running 60lb braid with either the catalina or saragosa,(not sure yet) but in the daiwa spec it gives casting weights as 200-400 for the 5"8 and 120–210 for the 6"3 and im just wondering if this is the jig weights it recommends for the action of the rod? If so that makes my decision easy as i would want to be able to use jigs up to 300grams at least.

Thanks again.

Hi Champ,

Personally I would prefre the 5'8 rod, with jigging it is an up down tussel, the longer rod might make that a little be hard to pull stubborn fish from the deep. It also depends on how much casting you wish to do with the rod, if you want to cast heaps then the longer will be better suited.

Just my thoughts.

Chers,

SZ

• 2 weeks later...

Ok still looking into this guys, Now i just have a question regarding the jigging weights a certain rod will be able to handle.

I think i've narrowed it down to the monster mesh series of rod but now i want to choose between the 5"8 MM 582XHS-SIC Spin and the 6"3 MM 632MHS-SIC.

Im planning on running 60lb braid with either the catalina or saragosa,(not sure yet) but in the daiwa spec it gives casting weights as 200-400 for the 5"8 and 120–210 for the 6"3 and im just wondering if this is the jig weights it recommends for the action of the rod? If so that makes my decision easy as i would want to be able to use jigs up to 300grams at least.

Thanks again.

Hi Mate

I have the 6"3 and love it - I use it with a Stella 8000 and 50lb braid and have jigged up kings and YFT on jigs up to 400gm

The extra length is something i am definitely happy with - especially if you do any downrigging - it also seems to just make it a little easier on the body ... go the 6"3 its a great Rod !

Hi Mate

I have the 6"3 and love it - I use it with a Stella 8000 and 50lb braid and have jigged up kings and YFT on jigs up to 400gm

The extra length is something i am definitely happy with - especially if you do any downrigging - it also seems to just make it a little easier on the body ... go the 6"3 its a great Rod !

Thanks for the info!

Ok so thats rod sorted now i just need to see if i can justify an extra $300 or so on purchasing the catalina over the saragosa.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone???

Im still trying to nut out the option for the reel.

The way i see it the catalina 6500 should be smoother with the extra bearings.

It has a 30kilo drag and holds 500m/50lb braid

where as the saragosa 18000 has 20kilo drag and the only figure on the capacity i've found is 300 m of 14lb mono line.

I'd be looking at running 60lb braid and would like to have at least 400m of what ever i put on it so i guess what i need to know does anyone think the catalina worth the extra $300ish for what you get?