Twin V Single

LittleNoah

Just wondering, (not that I'm buying a new boat and need to make a decision) why would you opt for the twin outboard instead of single.

Apart from the fact you've got a 2nd motor if 1 breaks down, what are the advantages/disadvantage of each.

For example, I was just looking (dreaming) at the haines Hunter 720 Patriot. It's available in the single or twin configeration. Why would you choose twin 150hp instead of a single 300hp.

Is top speed the same? I suppose with the twin set up the motors are working 1/2 as hard, but do twin 150's have the same or better holeshot, top speed, troll speed etc.

What does everyone think, what are the facts?

Thanks

:beersmile::beersmile::beersmile:

Can of worms this one as people will say that new outboards are so reliable you only need one and they don't even carry a 15hp kicker . These people rely on others to help them home when / if they breakdown or shut down to save $30K + of motor

Twins are better in some aspects if both have totally independent fuel and electrical so in theory safer. Lose a water pump impeller you can still get home unaided. They will weigh more, use a little more fuel, possibly have better holeshot in bar conditions as they have 2 large surface area props in the water. The top speed will be possibly be down slightly HP for HP as you have the added drag and ineffeciency of 2 gearbox and props. Balance and trim of boat may be better and possibly no need for trim tabs and boat will run flat with counterrotators. Twins will have higher service costs and probably purchase price. Gives you 2 alternators for bilge and radios and capacity to run large electrical loads like winch, pot hauler big lights.

Low troll speed on one motor . Twin setup must be done carefully by someone who has done a bit. I guess same for singles though.

Would do twin 175s and that way you have a chance of planing on a single motor. This gets you home at a decent speed after a prop strike or motor issue. Can always carry spare homer props as well.

Lot of stress on gear units on 250 plus hp motors and only as they try smaller casings so some say smaller hp may be more reliable or have better longevity.

Manovourability with twins can be a advantage at close quarters , docking or holding station.

Singles have advantages as well in pricing fuel consumption, less transom taken up ( although the big motors are huge).

A lot depends on what you use it for , how remote your fishing grounds are and how independent you want to be.

I'm sure others will add to the list of pros and cons and facts will depend on boat and application or even combination of motors and props.

Edited by pelican

Hey,

I agree with many of pelicans comments except, not all twin outboard setup's have their own independent fuel tank/system and therefore if a contamination would occur it would effect both motors. Twin motor options are somewhat more expensive than a similar rated single motor. Servicing would also be much more expensive as in affect your are servicing two engines instead of one.

Personally I would prefer a twin motor set up.

Hope this helps

ETTY

Going off some of the sea trial data I read for contenders with similar hull, and twin 150's to a single 300. The top end speeds were only 1 or 2kn difference with the twins getting the upper hand. Fuel consumptions were also only marginally different with the single winning that side.

Personally after running both types it really depends on where your going to use the boat. If I didn't do runs out to browns and stuff and just spun snapper I would go the single but I do love running wide so I run twins.

Only thing I don't like about running twins is how fiddley it is to get equal revs on both motors......

They need a equalizer button on them to make life ezy.

Greg

Only thing I don't like about running twins is how fiddley it is to get equal revs on both motors......

Greg

Hi Greg

As i'm sure you are already aware of....... and that is when you do get them right.............There is nothing much more sweeter

music than in listning to the tune of twin motors that are in perfect sync whilst underway....except maybe that

could be.......in hearing your tiagra's playing the same tune......... but that's a story for another day.

With all considerations taken into account in every respect to as why you would and would not, For me it is

at the end of the day there is no more reassurence that could be given in having the knowledge........

(and more so as you said when going wide)......... Of knowing for whatever the reason it was to be that if

you where to drop a motor.......Is that you have another one up your sleeve to get you back home

with and admittably maybe not as quickly...but comforting none the less to know that you will make the trip

back home safely all the same.

Cheers Warnie

Edited by ungry warnie

• 1 month later...

Awsome info on a good topic. I run two 200 saltwater on a 28 cat and have had to come back on one motor not bad at 5000rpm 22kn. but still 12 mile from land its good to have second motor, am repowering to 4 strokes as I too go wide.

Hi Baybuster, make sure you go up in HP then, because if you still want to plane on one engine you will need more HP with a 4-Stroke than your current V6 200HPs.

I can think of a better alternative, but it is your money and I sell/service and see all brands and technologies here.

PM me if you would like to discuss and get Raider prices.

Cheers,

Huey.

Going off some of the sea trial data I read for contenders with similar hull, and twin 150's to a single 300. The top end speeds were only 1 or 2kn difference with the twins getting the upper hand. Fuel consumptions were also only marginally different with the single winning that side.

Greg

A lot of 150hp actually put out a bit more than 150hp as it is a competitive HP range so manufacturers don't want to be seen as the lightweight. That might explain it but then again the black arts or set up and propping would as well especially with a 300p having to be very deep in the centerline of the hull.

Edited by pelican

A lot of 150hp actually put out a bit more than 150hp as it is a competitive HP range so manufacturers don't want to be seen as the lightweight. That might explain it but then again the black arts or set up and propping would as well especially with a 300p having to be very deep in teh centerline of the hull.

Now after going out and fishing in the Nomad 25ft centre console with a single 300hp Suzi and last week out of a 23ft with twin 150s the twins seem to ride better with a following sea. Seemed to track better surfing down the face of the swell and had better punch over taking swell too. This was out of the smaller boat but remember twin 150 2 strokes to a single 300 4 stroke so you would expect more punch out of the 2 strokes anyways.

It still amazes me the difference in ride one or two feet make, give me length and weight any day for offshore boats!

Next has almost completed it's make over :thumbup: water test Sunday after prop and engine adjustments, its been a month since last time I got to use her :depression:

Yeah until you have been in 2 boats side by side and feel the difference few people understand just how much difference set up can make - not top speed but handleing , fuel , ease of tracking etc. Have proven to myself a few times that it isn't the hulls or motor but the set up or the person in the helm chair.

Each boat requires a fine tune to it's general load and conditions. Just make sure it doesn't get so fine tuned to not be as usefull in all conditions. No use going for flat water speed if you spend your life offshore at 25knots so to speak and vice versa.

Few sales peolel have enough time on the water in their own boats they sell to give fine tuning so do a general set up and 99% of clients are happy so it never gets touched even if it isn't right for the client

Geg - adjustments - you must be kidding it is only just run in!! Anything you thought could be better? Be interesting to hear what they do and what is noticeable be it to the way it feels or to performance. A month without it - are you insane Whoops - Just noticed you had a fishing break in that month for sanity. Keep a reord of adjustments so you can always go back to the way they were if it was better or felt better.

More experience with the boat and better use of big trim tabs might help teh singles issues if it isn't the hull shape itself or the trim of the motor. All hulls respond differently and a lt of the time it is a perception rather than a reality that can be measured or something as simple as helm position or boat balance. Get that bloke in your boat and see if he percieves the opposite positives and then you know you are on the money. Contenders are very wll behaved

Edited by pelican