Leatherjacket Prep

kiwineil

A foolish q im sure but my little bloke (Mr 5) and I ahve been catching a few leatherjackets in the harbour and he wants to eat them. As everyone knows they are a weird fish and Im unsure how exactly to extract the meat from the fish without wasting what little yield you get.

So Ive been trawling the net and have seen in several places that a recommended method is as follows:

1. cut behind the head down to backbone

2. rip off head by pulling back towards tail, guts come out and

3. pull off skin to tail.

So my q is

- am i cutting from the belly to the backbone and ripping fishes head up and back or cutting from top of fish through backbone and pulling fish head down and back ?

Of course if someone has a better way id be keen to know as it looks like the only daytime LB action in MHarbour is these things for a while.

Also a site on the net says some LJ's are pooisonous and helpfully doesnt say which ... any truth to this and does anyone know which

Many thanks !

Neil

G'day mate.

Cut from the top of the fish down towards the belly behind the spine at a slight angle towards the back of the fish. After you cut through the backbone rip the head down & back & the guts & all should come with it.

Some types of trigger fish are also called l/j's & vica versa & these are poisonous. They are mainly found well north of Sydney. As far as I know the l/j's around Sydney are all safe & very good eating.

Cheers,

Grant.

G'day mate.

Cut from the top of the fish down towards the belly behind the spine at a slight angle towards the back of the fish. After you cut through the backbone rip the head down & back & the guts & all should come with it.

Some types of trigger fish are also called l/j's & vica versa & these are poisonous. They are mainly found well north of Sydney. As far as I know the l/j's around Sydney are all safe & very good eating.

Cheers,

Grant.

Most obliged

Ill give it a whirl on the weekend cos sure as eggs Mr5 will want to fish again !