Need Some Advice

ritchie

All,

I am thinking of buying this tinny. Since i do not know anything about boats i would like to know you guys opinion..

Its a 14ft Quintrex with 30HP Chrysler motor..owner claims that the motor running well and the boat and trailer is registered till December 2009. No leaks or holes in the hull and the trailer is in good condition..I yet to view the boat (most probably tonight)..

So, if the above mentioned are true is it worth buying? .. or is there anything i need to consider or look for before viewing the boat?..

Any advice is highly appriciated..

attached are some pics...

post-4048-1245198007_thumb.jpg

post-4048-1245198013_thumb.jpg

post-4048-1245198020_thumb.jpg

How much is it going for?

Lot's of boats for sale at the moment and there going quite cheap. So it's a buyers market.

It's got a chrysler motor so hit him down on that regard, and it looks to need a good tidy up as well.

$1500 .. owner said he'll put a brand new battery and trailor lights .. my budget is 2K ..

I know, there's plenty of boats but im restricted to a tinny as i have a normal 4cyl car (check my other posts! :)) ..

true! if i end up getting this boat then im already planning to paint it and do it up a bit.. how much would it cost to paint a tinny of this size?..

Chrysler motors no good?..

Ritchie That model Quinie are good boats so provided there is no corrosion it is worth considering from that aspect alone.

As fishook mentioned it looks as if a good clean up will make the boat a lot more presentable

Painting , it depends on the paint selected. Using basic enamel the cost , allowing for undercoat , paint , masking tape etc the cost would be around $100 - $150.00.

Other paints , like 2 pack or marine paint are more expensive.

I painted my Quinnie with normal enamel & it was fine.

As for the motor. Chrylser stopped making motors many years ago & parts may be hard to find. They were also not the most reliable motor around.

I think you will need to be prepared to fit a new or good second hand motor , not less than 30hp , in the future.

That may be of concern from a financial aspect but most motors on this model boat will be getting rather tired so walking away from this one to look at another may not make the problem go away.

Offer $1200 & see what he says

Geoff

PS make sure the boat is Boat coded before parting with your money

Edited by Geoff

Don't actually know what is out there and what is in that price bracket but have a serious look around and don't get rushed into buying anything.

Just about everyone on here will have a first or second boat ightmare story where they blew the budget as the trailer , hull or motor was a lemon in the end.

There is a lot of genuine sellers out there and a lot of shonks.

Don't buy it without taking someone along who knows boats and can also inspect the motor. That motor is pretty old and may be very hard to have work done if required

I would really decide on what size you really need for the fishing you do, what use you will get and what is the smallest most modern powered rig you can get. A bare tiller steer boat is very easy to maintain and always resellable and with a modern motor you can move that motor to another boat..

How many people does it need to hold?

Where do you want it to go?

There should be afair few boats coming up with the boats shows not far away so it may be worth a wait and see what is takes your fancy.

Talk with the site sponser and see what he has or knows of as people upgrade and often need to get rid of reliable boats that have a service history and yards won't take them on as stock when the market is so quiet.

Has that boat had the bench seats modified?

Edited by pelican

That may be of concern from a financial aspect but most motors on this model boat will be getting rather tired so walking away from this one to look at another may not make the problem go away.

Offer $1200 & see what he says

Geoff

PS make sure the boat is Boat coded before parting with your money

Geoff,

Many thanks for the golden advice! I will go and have a look at the boat tonight and see how i "feel' ..

I do understand that Chrysler is not the best outboard motor around (after through online researches) but then again its a 2nd hand motor and im taking a risk buying a second hand boat+motor ...

but what do you mean by "most motors on this model boat will be getting rather tired so walking away from this one to look at another may not make the problem go away". .. did u mean that the boat will be too heavy/big for the motor?

how heavy would a boat of this size be?

Pelican,

Really appriciate your advice..

im only after a aluminium boat which may car can pull (car's towing capacity is only 550KG) and capable of fishing rivers, lakes and may be bays... i thought 14ft is good size to fit 4 people comfortably..and something econimical as well..

since this will be my first time buying a boat i wouldnt want anything fancy..

I have tried contacting Craig @ Huett marine to no avail..great bloke, gave me heaps of advice last time..

I think one of the benches are modified .. will have a closer look tonight...

but what do you mean by "most motors on this model boat will be getting rather tired so walking away from this one to look at another may not make the problem go away". .. did u mean that the boat will be too heavy/big for the motor?

I think he is referring to the fact that its an older model so most other sellers of the same boat will also have older engines powering it so you may find that all the boats you are looking at will have the same disadvantage as the Chrysler. You have to remember your spending $2k not $10k so this may be perfect for your price range.

I think he is referring to the fact that its an older model so most other sellers of the same boat will also have older engines powering it so you may find that all the boats you are looking at will have the same disadvantage as the Chrysler. You have to remember your spending $2k not $10k so this may be perfect for your price range.

Thanks Dicko!

I have asked the seller about the motor and he said the motor has been replaced 12 months ago and runs with no issues now..

as ive mentioned, i already taking a risk by buying a 2nd hand boat (just like buying a 2nd hand car!) .. so risk can only get worse but then again as you said, its only 2K im gambling with... ummmmm...

Will have a good look at the boat tonight...

No , the boat motor combination is OK. I was refering to the age. I think the flared nose Quinnie (the one your looking at) came out in the 70's & I suspect the motor is origional equipment.

If your looking at boats of that vintage the motors , unless they have been repowered duringing their life, are now in excess of 30 years old .

That's not to say the motor will have to be replaced in the near future but just , "buyer be ware"

how heavy would a boat of this size be?

Not sure of the exact weight but should be less than 500kg's

I had the previous model Quinnie with a 25 HP motor. Towed it with a 2.0lt Toyota , no problems

Geoff

Im a bit concerned about the Captains seat. How has it been attached to the boat? Check the quality and integrity of any other "modifications" that the boat may have.

Definately do a water test . Good chance to have a close look at the rollers on the trailer , general condition etc . Also , how easily does it start? Run smoothly ?

What condition is the propellor in? A little paint missing is OK , but check for dings or bent blades.

Oil leaks. Check for any leaking oil inside and outside of the cowling.

Battery / wiring. If he is going to supply a new battery OK , but check the terminal connections are clean and not corroded. Also check the hydraulic tilt and trim if fitted.

Ross

Hi Ritchie unless the seller is including fresh air or the perception of clear skies and blue water in the price, the boat should be priced at what you yourself would get for it should you decide to sell it the following day.

I would separate the main components and see what I was paying for and put this to the seller:

A 14' Quintrex hull of that age on its own - would bring a maximum of $600 registered $600.00

An old trailer like that for a 14' boat - maximum registered and in good condition,

(online auction).... $500.00

The old 30hp chrysler would either not sell or be sold at a give away price for the sake of salvaging a couple of parts ...................................... $50.00

$1150 subject to inspection

Hope this helps Ritchie if you like the Quintrex hull and trailor allow $2500-$2800 plus fitting for a good second hand 30-40 hp motor

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Im a bit concerned about the Captains seat. How has it been attached to the boat? Check the quality and integrity of any other "modifications" that the boat may have.

Definately do a water test . Good chance to have a close look at the rollers on the trailer , general condition etc . Also , how easily does it start? Run smoothly ?

What condition is the propellor in? A little paint missing is OK , but check for dings or bent blades.

Oil leaks. Check for any leaking oil inside and outside of the cowling.

Battery / wiring. If he is going to supply a new battery OK , but check the terminal connections are clean and not corroded. Also check the hydraulic tilt and trim if fitted.

Ross

Thanks Ross..

Will def add your advice to the list so i can ask him all the questions tonight and probably ask him to take it out to water on thursday..

you guys ROCK!!

A 14' Quintrex hull of that age on its own - would bring a maximum of $600 registered $600.00

I think my friend Jewgaffer is a bit light on with $600. I think $1000 - 1250.00 would be closer to the value.

Had a look around a few of the boat sales web sites , there are currently no 14' Quinnies under $3000

Sold my Quinnie a few years back , 1966 model , pre flared bow & narrow gunnals for $3500.00 , ie the model prior to the one we are dicussing.

Granted it had a near new motor & other accessories which helped the price along

post-731-1245225342_thumb.jpg

Geoff

Gentlemen,

went to see the boat not long ago...well..the hull looked okay however the trailer has few areas of surface rust..didnt look too bad but given my minimum to nill knowledge of boats it could be bad too..

The motor started after few attempts..Owner did not put a new battery but tried starting the motor with his car battery..it started and didnt make any wierd noise but had a bit of grunt...ran for a little while..however could smell some petrol..Propeller looked fine..no bends or cracks..just paint loss..

the steering was bit tight but the owner said it'll be way smoother once the boat's in the water..

No mods have been done to the hull..that "captian's chair" can be easily removed and replaced with one of them chairs with a pole at the botom (?) ..pardon my use of words but not sure what you call them seats.. :)

Ive offered $1200 but the owner insisted he wouldnt go below $1500..

so..what ya all think?.. :beersmile:

...however...

found this 12ft tinny on a online auction site..Model is "runabout" (?) and has a 25Hp Evinrude with forward controls (not clear whether its key start or not) ..Trailer has bit of surface rust,owner mentioned. the paint is new..

Current bid is $1000..auction ends on VERY early hours of friday..

attached some pics..how much would this one worth?

post-4048-1245239054_thumb.jpg

post-4048-1245239065_thumb.jpg

post-4048-1245239077_thumb.jpg

post-4048-1245239093_thumb.jpg

Richie - my two bobs worth in regards to your first post

Generally speaking older aluminium boats in serviceable condition dont sink so they fulfill their role in the boat/ motor partnership ie: they keep you and the motor afloat.

However older outboards can present with a variety of frustrating problems that stop them from doing what they are required to do.

The probs can be solved with help and advice from mechanically minded friends or servicing by outboard mechanics.

Personally think all the risk is with the motor. Its ongoing reliability will most likely balance on a degree of luck and input of $$

Look at what you are prepared to put into it and what you want in terms of (number) hours you might want to be on the water.

Hope it works out well for you

John

Gentlemen,

went to see the boat not long ago...well..the hull looked okay however the trailer has few areas of surface rust..didnt look too bad but given my minimum to nill knowledge of boats it could be bad too..

The motor started after few attempts..Owner did not put a new battery but tried starting the motor with his car battery..it started and didnt make any wierd noise but had a bit of grunt...ran for a little while..however could smell some petrol..Propeller looked fine..no bends or cracks..just paint loss..

the steering was bit tight but the owner said it'll be way smoother once the boat's in the water..

No mods have been done to the hull..that "captian's chair" can be easily removed and replaced with one of them chairs with a pole at the botom (?) ..pardon my use of words but not sure what you call them seats.. :)

Ive offered $1200 but the owner insisted he wouldnt go below $1500..

so..what ya all think?.. :beersmile:

Running on a flusher will not tell if the motor has 'grunt'. If it has no compression it will run OK, but when put under any load it won't pull the skin off a rice custard! You really need to test it on the water, unless you want to take a gamble.

Once the trailer starts rusting it will accelerate. Looks like the trailer has been painted too (which can hide a few sins). I would be knocking a bit off the price for that.

Both the boats have forward controls. Bear in mind you will take a terrible pounding if it's at all choppy. I would be going for a tiller steer in that size and style of boat.

If it was me I would give those boats a miss and save a few hundred and get a combination less than 10-15 years old and steer clear of the 30 year old clunkers (esp with regard to motors).

The second boat presents better but the first boat is a much better model , high gunnals , flaired bow , screen, etc.

The second boat will be rather wet even in a small chop.

Manual start motors with forward controls can be a bit of a pain. Been there , done that.

Geoff

Thanks all for your advice...

I think this time im gonna give both boats a miss..because...

Boat 1

Pro's - Good size solid hull to fit my fishing requirments, key start&forward control, affordable price

Con's - Unreliable motor (given the brand&age of it), Surface rust on trailer, Poor hull paint condition

Boat 2

Pro's - "looks" pretty, tidier than Boat 1, slightly better mortor than Boat 1

Con's - Recent paint work could be to mask any issues, owner not responding well to request to inspect the boat, smaller hull compared to Boat 1..

Therefore, the waiting game begins again :)

While you are waiting , LOOK !! :074: There are score of good boats for sale at present , you will find the right one for you if you keep looking !!

Ross

yeah true..and i AM LOOKING! hahaha...

checked every single boat sales websites but none of 'em got what im after..they're trying to sell me 40K cruisers! LOL .. perhaps i should stop sound like a professional! :074:

If you guys know of a good tinny up for sale, let us know! :thumbup:

Keep an eye out in your suburb for boats that are not getting used and are just sitting in a front yard. Often an approach may find you a boat that is well maintainesd and just not wanted but the owner is too lazy to sell. You of course can find lemons and crap as well but that way you don't have the pressure of it already being advertised etc and can arrange water test etc. Depends a bit on what suburb you live in.

Don't be worries about a older scratched boat as at least it hasn't had problems covered up and you will put a few scratches on it yourself. They may not look pretty but are just as good day to day. Money spent prettying them up can often make people suspicious like the "bunnings dulux" It is expensive to do properly and few do it well but some amature jobs can last a while and look OK depending on how much they get used.

You are in that bracket of $ where you are going to find a lot of bodged up boats and old motors. I have seen mates cope with bodged up boats but troublesome motors are a nightmare and they spend more on their motor repairs than their whole original boat package.

Sometimes better to forget the "4 people " idea as often you will be 1 up or 2 up and buy a but smaller with a quality motor especially if you ae not mechanically minded as older motors don't have alarms and often overheat etc without new owners realising there is a problem. I was nearly going to suggest that a mate throw in for half and you get a better boat between you but it is often a recipe for disaster being in a partnership be it family or friends.

There is no exact answer so just keep putting up what you find and people will tell you good and bad points.

Newer boats are in many cases a lot lighter and you can get away with smaller HP ( or lower speed with a different pitch prop) and props are avaliable as spares over the counter.

Edited by pelican