Port Hacking

deano2233

hi raiders,

i was considering having a :1fishing1: in one of my favorite waterways the Hacking this weekend hopefully. i did a search on the hacking in the last month and didnt find much, i was just wondering if anyone has the word on how its fishing at the moment? have you been in the last couple of weeks?? how did you go?? good :thumbup: or bad :thumbdown: reports are both appreciated.

cheers

went out on saturday last week. (13/06) was fishing out from Yowie bay and hooked up onto a school of salmon while fishing for bream in 5m of water. Laneded 3 salmon and about 7 bream. No monster bream but all legal. All caught on pilchards.

Its good fishing in the hacking at the moment. Little traffic at the boat ramps and the wake boarders are nowhere to be seen.

I have been into the hacking 3 times in the last 10 days at night and nothing. Total waist of time at night. I went for a flick this morning 8am to 10am and caught 1 Salmon and a really nice Bream. I let the Salmon go as I dont like to eat them and gave the Bream to my mates mum, who I have asked to send me a pic before he cleans it. I will post it IF he send me the pic.

So in conclusion I think the day would be best. Are you going by boat or land based.

thanks for the responses. very nice i wouldnt complain if i manage to land a salmon. ill be boating it. where did u get your salmon? these salmon are different from the $50kg salmon at the fish shop yeah? do they cook up well?

thanks for the responses. very nice i wouldnt complain if i manage to land a salmon. ill be boating it. where did u get your salmon? these salmon are different from the $50kg salmon at the fish shop yeah? do they cook up well?

The Australian Salmon is not highly rated as food by anyone other than cats going by my experience and would not sell for 50 cents/kg let alone $50/kg. They are tough, sometimes when a good size full of worms and bruise very easily. Their flesh is white not the orange colour in the shops. A Greek mate of mine does eat them though.

I got my fishies today on the sand flats near the Ballast Heap between Lilly Pilly and Burraneer Bay. There were also some whiting of good size swimming around but I could not get them to take a bait. Water quality was fairly good this morning considering the rain. If the wind is calmer tomorrow I will go back just before high tide and try for the whiting again with different bait.

Hi 5star,

sorry for the late reply. i love the hacking mate and i frequent the place nearly every weekend.

recently i've been taking a liking to fishing great turriel bay. stay close to the shore say about 10 - 15 metres....to where the depth drops from about 3m to about 8m. burley up the water......there's been word from my local bait shop that there's quiet a bit of john dory being caught off there. a couple of weeks ago we caught a few good size snappers and some mammoth leather jackets.

unfortunatley the lj's are in plague proportion's at the moment and it's a bit hard to avoid them but i reckon it's got to do with the bait your using. we were using live nippers... there's also word that apparently big jewies frequent that spot as well. not far in the bay there's also a good spot for catching squid but i tend to favour the little bay at hungry point for squid due to the water clarity there, i've had great success there.

let us know if you're interested in other spots in port hacking and i'll pm you some apparent hotspots there i'm keen on checking out.

cheers

Rob

Its bait time in the hacking :thumbup: Since i have had some assignments i couldnt go but my dad and brother went on wednesday and thursday. Both days bagged out on gar. yummy!!!! :yahoo: and also alot off slimmeys and yakka were around which have been salted for later use.

they also got a few fair sized squid