Trolling For Tailor

mark10187

Ive caught them on everything from Feathers, to shallow and deep diving minnows, jet heads, chrome slicers and even trolling gulps works a treat.

They do love anything silver though.

Edited by xtosea

Ive caught them on everything from Feathers, to shallow and deep diving minnows, jet heads, chrome slicers and even trolling gulps works a treat.

They do love anything silver though.

Cheers mate whats usually the best size lures to hook them up on most of my chrome slicers a pretty large or will they take anything no matter the size

Hey Bustoff have to agree with ray and musty chrome slice's are the go, just put a swivel on the split ring and your in action.....

If you love fishing for them a much more productive way i found is to anchor up on a shallow reef around an hour or so before sunset, 2 spots off Cronulla that always fish well are the at back of shark island and jibon bommie, 15-20m deep should have you fishing nice and safe....

Burley with chopped pillies and bread, you will get swamped by yellow tail and slimies but this will get the attention of any tailor in the area.

Use whole pillie for bait after sunset on ganged hooks, Cast down your burley trail and retrive bait slowly back to boat... You should know on the first cast if they are on the chew. :thumbup:

A little bit of moon is also good, just seem to be a bit more aggessive.

Hope the info helps...

G'day Mark. All the above posts have good advice.

We've caught heaps of tailor on the troll lately using a variety of lures. These below have been the most successful with silver-blue (pilchard) hard bodies probably the best. However, sometimes those chrome slicers work well too, but I put larger trebles on them. They threw the hooks when they were small trebles.

post-4381-1245884622_thumb.jpg

(I put this picture up in response to a similar question in one of my recent reports)

Tailor usually hit the tail and recently, the best hook-up rate usually happened when I used the "double hook" (no. 3). I'm going to try putting one of these on a hard body to see how well it works.

Trolling speed should be around 4-5 knots. Also use a good leader because there is always the chance you'll pick up a kingy, salmon or stripey.

Cheers

Peter