Leaving A Boat On A Jetty

achjimmy

Going to be staying in a house on the water up at Forster for a week and was wondering if there is anything obvious i should be doing whilst the boat is moored?

Do i leave the leg down or up?

Should i still flush the motor (maybe no water on the jetty)

Is there a particular way i should be tying the mooring lines?

Any suggestions are welcome as i have never left a boat unattended at a jetty before

Thanks

Is it a floating pontoon or fixed wharf? Tidal ?

Check you are insured if left unattended- some policies suck. Especially ask by email or phone and determin what they mean by secure and in your control

Obviously you can never have enough buffers between wharf and boat.

Can still use muffs underwater while in the water to flush if you wish. Leave motor up after flushing.

Do you ave a photo of wharf?

Check out there is not a "locals or private" ramp close by as launching becomes very quick when it is only 2 minutes up the road

Copy from elsewhere

Making Fast Alongside

Although with a lightweight yacht you can temporarily make fast with just bow and stern lines, the following method provides security for all sizes of craft.

Normally four ropes or mooring lines are used to secure a boat alongside. The head rope is led from the bow well forward along the jetty. Similarly the stern rope is led aft from the stern. These are normally the first two ropes taken ashore, since they will locate the boat in her berth.

Better security is provided by springs, which hold bow and stern in to the jetty and prevents the boat from surging alongside. One spring is taken from the bow to a point aft. This is known as the forward spring because it stops the boat moving forward. The back spring or aft spring is taken from the boats stern to a point well forward on the pontoon

--------------------------------------------------------

The alternative is to anchor for and aft 5m away from the wharf and just use a lead rope over to wharf. Anchor , pull lead rope towards wharf , hop off and boat will return back to 5m from wharf and safe from being scratched etc. Experience helps as it is a bit of trial and error. Weighting the anchor rope helps this action if there is a strong tidal flow. You can leave teh anchors in place for the few days and just attach a buoy to them and to make it quicker each time. We use the same system with boat attached to shore and a single anchor.

Often there is a mooring buoy that you an tie up to and just use a dinghy to get out to the boat.

After a few days you start getting slime and after 4 you will start to get the coral worms ( little hard shell like sandpaper) if it is in salt water. They resist falling off when under way and even pressure washers. Really depends on how quick growth is happening in teh spot.

Consider boat bagging it by slipping a cheap tarp under it each night and just tying off to your gunnels as it limits waterflow and hence growth. If a FG boat a couple of tablespoons of pool chlorine will keep water clear of slime but wouldn't suggest it with a ally

post-4267-1246058611_thumb.jpg

Edited by pelican