Opinions Sought On 5hp L.s. 4 Stroke Outboards.

davebrewer

Hi, all brands are fine outboards, but they are all only single cylinder engines and they are not the smoothest, they are not the best on performance and they are heavier, harder to start and yes they might use a bit less fuel, but in the scheme of things if you are looking at second hand find yourself a twin cylinder 5HP Evinrude / Johnson of a few years old, only brand that offered twin cyclinder and they are great engines. They are quiter, smoother, much more powerful and the best 5HP ever made, but they were dearer to produce than the other single cylinder engines so people who were buying on price bought single cylinder engines but regretted it.

If new, get the brand that your dealer has and one that you trust, because they are all OK engines in this size.

Cheers,

Huey.

Hi Dave, no such thing as new Johnson outboards today and Evinrude start from 25HP and go up. As mentioned all brands of small engines are very similar and I will PM you the prices for both 5HPs (2 and 4 stroke).

Cheers,

Huey.

Hey;

Like Craig said the 5hp 2 Cylinder Evinrude/Johnsons are awesome !!

I got a 1993 5hp 2 cylinder Evinrude and it uses bugger all fuel and runs really smooth !! And i think they have abit more power then other 5hps cos my uncle has a 2 year old new 5hp Yamaha and even tho its near new it doesnt run as smooth,

Anyway goodluck with whatever you buy ! I just wouldnt buy a 4 stroke that size but thats just me

Hey;

Like Craig said the 5hp 2 Cylinder Evinrude/Johnsons are awesome !!

I got a 1993 5hp 2 cylinder Evinrude and it uses bugger all fuel and runs really smooth !! And i think they have abit more power then other 5hps cos my uncle has a 2 year old new 5hp Yamaha and even tho its near new it doesnt run as smooth,

Anyway goodluck with whatever you buy ! I just wouldnt buy a 4 stroke that size but thats just me