Underfloor Fuel Tank Installation

jim77

G'day

I have managed to get hold of an underfloor fuel tank that was removed from another boat. I have an old Cruise Craft half cab and currently only have carry on tanks. As luck would have it the old tank will fit in the two under floor storage lockers (with a bit of modification) in my boat with about 2cms to spare - a great fit!

Just wondering how easy a job it is to put it in and exactly what i need to do it properly. Obviously i need the filler to go in the gunwhale (for which there is a previous hole already there) and all the hoses etc. Not quite sure on how i set up the rest of the tank - i.e. breather hoses/vents etc. The tank has two breather outlets on it. Is it crucial to have an inline fuel filter or can i get away without one?

It also has a fuel sender on it but no gauge. Will it just work if i connect it up to a new gauge? I am pretty good at DIY once i know what i am doing but obviously where there is petrol involved it is not something that i want to stuff around with and i certainly don;t want it to die when i'm offshore...

Is it a relatively easy job once you have all the bits? Or am i better off getting a boat shop to install it for me? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Jim

g-day Jim,

i had heaps of trouble with mine & got huey @ heutts marine to fix propperly & now very pleased, no fumes or leaks no more hassels. found out easier to get someone who knows how to do, than me tottally stuff it up which could've cost me a whole lot more $$$$$$$$$$$$

cheers john

Edited by johnv