Line For Squid

slayer666

Hey all. Just wondering does anyone out there knows whats the best line for squidding? Whats the best line class, Mono or braid, and what is the best brand of line to get. As i have just bought a shimano sienna 1000 just for squid. Thanks for your help guys

Cheers Joe :1fishing1:

I have a 2500 Stradic on a 3-5kg rack raider but i think these lines would fit on a 1000 reel without choking it.

I use 10lb kokoda braid (probably equivalent to 6 or 8lb fireline in strength but softer) to a 4 to 6ft 10lb Sunline Rock FC Fluorocarbon Leader with a double uni. i find this a good balance for casting, shock absorption, catching squid and getting jigs back out of the weed. Some guys prefer mono because the stretch helps with shock absorption to stop pulling jigs and snapping tentacles. It could be in my head but i think i can give the jig or lure a better action and feel more with the braid. I just try to keep the rod loaded when a squid is on to help with the shock absorption.

g'day joe,

I'm one who prefers mono but plenty of good squid fishos use braid. If you've got a reel with a spare spool, load one with each and then try out both for a few trips before you decide your preference. One suggestion if you're using braid is to fish with a light drag too.

Cheers, Slinky

You have to have stretch in line for squid. so i always go with mono. I have used braid for squiding and come back with alot of tentalcle which hav been pulled off the squid. But it can vary from person to person maybe some are more experienced with braid

Not too important exactly what you use as long as you use one of the following-

-softer rod action

-and/ or mono line

-and/ or lighter drag setting

Any or all of these measures will help to provide sufficient shock absorbtion into your system.

8lb Fireline and a 12-15lb Fluro trace. I like the braid because it has great sensitivity and in the right conditions, you can tell when a squid has the jig. It also helps to feel when your jig is close to the Kelp.

Mono has too much stretch for mine. I find it clumsy. I actually hate it. :thumbdown:

Edited by Cephalopod

i use to have braid and it was excellent, however i went through a spool in 1 month due to so many tangles and birds nest. I now use 6lb fireline. Its the best. I also use a 12lb flurocarbon leader tied onto the fireline, no swivel, this has been the best setup i have used.

Since getting into squid I have changed a few times and evolved my ideas a bit. I ended up with 10lb braid and 10lb fluro leader, medium action 2-4kg plastics rod with a shimano 2500. this works great for jigs up to 2.5g and in shallower water (1-2m) where a fissese action might be used more.

Recently since working out that alot of the big thumper winter squid are deeper and like the big jigs just as much, if not more I've been using 20lb braid, 20lb fluro leader, 3-6kg medium action grahite rod and 3000 Diawa. Works an absolute treat for deeper water (2-5m) and bigger jigs from 2.0 to 3.5g. I'm sure the squid do not notice the line at all. my mates have been doing similar and doing really well.

hi i have sienna 1000 just bought it last week i put 4pound crystal fireline match it ssx etreme starlo stix 6.6 bream works just as well very fine very sensitive very light caught 3 squid can feel when the squid is pulling it cheers bangus

all this talk of mega squid is making me wanna get out there!! but its so cold!! and im sick..

I was gonna go out this friday night after work. But it looks like its gonna rain and im gonna be stuck in bed with the bloody flu

Cheers Joe :1fishing1: