Waterproof Torches

Ken A

Guys I was after some feedback on torches. I have used a Technalite for over 20 years & never had a drama with it , then some @#%&&$$ knocked it off out of my old mans fishing bag somehow.

They were a fantastic torch & unfortunately are no longer sold as the price meant few were sold. Its a real shame they were a top product & super strong.

Most torches around are rubbish. Give them a bash or 2 & they never work again.

Anyone got any suggestions on a reliable torch. Please don''t say Dolphins :D

• 2 weeks later...

I have been using Dolphin torches for years and find them pretty good in the reliability dept. They are a bit tough on batteries, but then most torches are. they used to have a lifetime warranty (not sure if they still do) but all mine have been lost or knocked off before I could break them.

I was a bit dissapointed with the Petzl headlamps, they worked OK, but 2 yrs later and the copper terminals in the battery compartment are so corroded they don't work. For a product that boasts a lifetime warranty, is fairly expensive and hard on batteries, I'll just say the Petzl people arn't too keen on replacements and leave it at that.

Maglite are good for security people but not for fishing. The mate (who coincidently is a security guard) used to bring his along on night sessions and after 6 months was showing bad signs of corrosion, green teminals and white powder everywhere.

Think I'll stick with the Dolphins.

FATMAN

Bought the boat a torch for fathers day :ohyeh: , ended up with a rechargeable Dolphin. The gel cel batteries are available at Dick Smiths too, when it finally dies.

Plug in the MinnKota and Dolphin once I arrive home, ready for the next trip :thumbsup:

Bill

I just stick with the trusty old Dolphin.  :thumbsup:

There so cheap that I usually just buy a new one when the battery runs out.

I also have one of those Petzl's with the 5 LEDs as well as the globe, it's excellent and the LEDs last for ages.

For a better quality torch I think Bash is on the right track with the diving stores.

You buy a new one every time the battery runs out! Can I have your leftover ones.

Ken,

I've had good use out of those cheap everready waterproof torches. (bright colours, 2d cell batteries & twist to turn on, no button). They're usually on the battery stand at most shops, at about about 6 or 7 bucks you can have a few laying around home or the boat. Very waterproof. The kids use them playing underwater in the pool at night time :D .

Got a couple of maglites in different sizes they're good, but they aren't very waterproof.