Jervis Bay Vs Crookhaven

Moro Mou

Hello Raiders,

I am looking at spending a couple of days in September fishing either Jervis Bay or the Crookhaven/Shoalhaven river systems. Will be mainly targeting your standard estuary options being faltties and bream with bait and rubbers. Will have a boat so can cover a bit of water.

I would apprecaite any advice anyone can provide.

Many thanks

Moro Mou

Whatever you do get the latest map of all the exclusion zones!

Fisheries inspectors can confiscate your gear for fihing where you shouldn't, let alone fine your ass for more than the cost of the holiday!

The creek at huskisson has some good flatties, but watch out for the EZs

the ledges inside point perp can turn up anything! ---- but again watch out for the EZs

Cheers

Chris

Hello Raiders,

I am looking at spending a couple of days in September fishing either Jervis Bay or the Crookhaven/Shoalhaven river systems. Will be mainly targeting your standard estuary options being faltties and bream with bait and rubbers. Will have a boat so can cover a bit of water.

I would apprecaite any advice anyone can provide.

Many thanks

Moro Mou

Jervis Bay. Upside: Lots of fish, lots of options, lots of squid. Wide variety of fishing environments, from sportsfish, to standard estuary fish. Downside: Lots of Sanctuary zones - though I think that helps the fishing. Bay can get rough in very bad weather.

Crookhaven: Upside: Flatheads, bream, jewfish, all weather. Downside: I think it's overfished, making you work hard for fish.

I holiday down on the Crookhaven river several times a year. Just got back then - spent a couple of mornings fishing (or squidding actually) with kids - caught over 40 over about 5 hours total (two days). Didn't go in at Crookhaven, or try the ocean.

So I would pick Jervis - but both are good.

Mike

Thanks Mike and Chris,

Appreciate your comments and help. From Memory the EZ's are resonably easy to spot but I would always carry a map for good order. I have fished the bay before and had good sucess.

For the Crookhaven/Shoalhaven i have not fished this area before but my mate has quite sucessfully. By saying this i certainly felt that you would have to work for your fish. Your comments can confirm this.

Anyway i have a month or so to decide/plan/dream . . . .

thanks again fr your help.

Tim