Spooling An Alvey Reel

tan the fisherman

Tan it's a good idea to spool a few metres of mono onto your reel and then drop the rod tip down near the floor and if the mono line has curls thru it, try reversing the spooling direction {i.e. the direction the line comes off the spool} from anti clockwise to clockwise...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

G'Day Tan

When ever I load up a reel with new line (not braid) I chuck the shop spool into a bucket of water.

I then load from there. If there is any twists etc then the spool in the water keeps revolving around and lessens the eventual twists that might end up on your loaded reel.

With a alvey you should be OK even putting it on directly as, as you have said, there is no oscillation, its a straight line transfer.

Even so the benefit of the bucket of water is that:-

1. As you wind the line on, use thumb and first finger to hold the line, water on the line = does not burn your fingers.

2. Thumb and first finger work back and forwards to load the line evenly on the reel.

3. Keep medium pressure on the line when loading with your thumb and first finger so that it beds. Note too much pressure is just as bad as to little pressure. To much can actually affect the reels shape and squash it, to little and yes the birds nest.

4. The water over the whole length of line going on to the reel helps bed the same.

Hope the above helps.

Don't know quite why I don't do the above with braid.

I have this probably outdated and dinosaur thought that it is a fabric type of product and if loaded wet will shrink when it dries (fully loaded) and affect the reel. I know this does not make sense, as you get a big run from a fish that strips stacks of line off, the braid dries on the reel and I have had no probs here. You also rinse reel etc on return from a trip.

Its a question that's been in the back of my mind for a while now so has any FR a answer to the above, would love to know!!!

Cheers

Trapper T

G'Day Tan

When ever I load up a reel with new line (not braid) I chuck the shop spool into a bucket of water.

I then load from there. If there is any twists etc then the spool in the water keeps revolving around and lessens the eventual twists that might end up on your loaded reel.

With a alvey you should be OK even putting it on directly as, as you have said, there is no oscillation, its a straight line transfer.

Even so the benefit of the bucket of water is that:-

1. As you wind the line on, use thumb and first finger to hold the line, water on the line = does not burn your fingers.

2. Thumb and first finger work back and forwards to load the line evenly on the reel.

3. Keep medium pressure on the line when loading with your thumb and first finger so that it beds. Note too much pressure is just as bad as to little pressure. To much can actually affect the reels shape and squash it, to little and yes the birds nest.

4. The water over the whole length of line going on to the reel helps bed the same.

Hope the above helps.

Don't know quite why I don't do the above with braid.

I have this probably outdated and dinosaur thought that it is a fabric type of product and if loaded wet will shrink when it dries (fully loaded) and affect the reel. I know this does not make sense, as you get a big run from a fish that strips stacks of line off, the braid dries on the reel and I have had no probs here. You also rinse reel etc on return from a trip.

Its a question that's been in the back of my mind for a while now so has any FR a answer to the above, would love to know!!!

Cheers

Trapper T

Thanks Tom - I have decided on the sure fire, tried and tested way to spool this reel.

Im taking it back to the shop and the bloke can do it for me. He was very busy at the time and couldnt do it.