Saragosa

wirlez

It's almost been a year since these reels were released ... I have been searching all over google for a review but can't seem to get anything solid.

There have been comments made here and there but a good solid write up from someone whom has put the reel through its paces is nowhere to be seen.

I have been on popping websites that have shown horrific pictures of the 18000's with snapped reel legs and stories of under-performing drags and even side-plates falling off after a few weeks. To be fair this is coming from blokes who flog these reels at 40+ kilos of angry GT's ... and the list of casualties include the Z6000GT saltigas aswell.

There have been numerous threads and posts by raiders already recommending it, but still no real review of the reel ... and it seems a fair few own the reel aswell.

So what I am asking those whom have and still own a Saragosa, is that ...

How long have you had it for and how often does it get used?

What type of work has your reel seen? jigging/popping/livebaiting etc.

Has the drag held up?

Any line lay problems?

Cosmetic problems?

Any other problems?

Are you happy with it?

I am looking to get one for a pure popping setup, probably twice a week on some 15-25kg GTs running 80lb braid ... the Saragosa will most probably be able to handle it no worries ... but i'm just looking for an excuse to hold out and wait for a stella instead ... then again once or twice a week doesn't really warrant getting a stella either.

appreciate any replies

Ray

i have owned a 18000 saragosa loaded with 55lb braid for 5 months now and used it for jigging only it has copped a good flogging the past couple of months and landed some nice kings and so far cannot fault it one bit the drag is excellent and the line lay is excellent the only cosmetic problems are the usual bumps it cops that come with fishing no manufacturing problems at all so overall im pretty happy with it and highly recomend it. hope this helps

cheers

thanks for the replies

scotty, yeah figured that's why they were blowing them up on a regular basis

but there are also people out there with the 5000/6000 sizes melting drags with 15-20kg jews

still have really mixed feelings about the reel ...

thanks for the replies

scotty, yeah figured that's why they were blowing them up on a regular basis

but there are also people out there with the 5000/6000 sizes melting drags with 15-20kg jews

still have really mixed feelings about the reel ...

Hey mate, i've been looking at these reels for a fair while too, if you look at the spec's you will find that the drags on the 14000 and 18000 reels are rated to nearly the power of the 5000/6000 reels so not really worth comparing if you are thinking about the bigger reels.

One of the other things you can do is upgrade the drag washers to the carbonetix kind which will apparently not really give you an increased drag but will make it alot smoother.

That being said im still waiting to purchase and still tossing up between a saragosa and a daiwa catalina in 6500. Still can't decide wether its worth the extra money or not.