Question About A Alternator

framedtrash

well i have been having some battery issues and im not certain if the problem is with the battery

or a problem with the Alternator

now i have been doing some rewiring in the past and im not sure if that has some thing to do with it

so how do i check to make sure the battery is connected to the Alternator

its a 2002 75 merc

cheers in advance

well i have been having some battery issues and im not certain if the problem is with the battery

or a problem with the Alternator

now i have been doing some rewiring in the past and im not sure if that has some thing to do with it

so how do i check to make sure the battery is connected to the Alternator

its a 2002 75 merc

cheers in advance

hi frame if you have some done wiring hopefully you have a multimeter if not there bout 20bucks at boating stores.set it to volts then with engine off check the battery voltage should be 11 to 12 volts.then start engine and do same test and if alternator (stator) is working and connected right it now should read between 13v to 14.6 volts if so charging working.if not you have problem ie:short somewhere or stator not working or blown fuse,or faulty rectifyer,good luck

hi frame if you have some done wiring hopefully you have a multimeter if not there bout 20bucks at boating stores.set it to volts then with engine off check the battery voltage should be 11 to 12 volts.then start engine and do same test and if alternator (stator) is working and connected right it now should read between 13v to 14.6 volts if so charging working.if not you have problem ie:short somewhere or stator not working or blown fuse,or faulty rectifyer,good luck

thanks for the advice

also got some great help from Craig at Huett Marine

thanks again