Quality Braid At A Good Price ?

archilles2

Hi all,

I'm after 70lb braid that's good in quality and price - there seem to be afew varieties on blah blah poop however i'm abit cautious about the quality ? Also does anyone know what colour is best ?

I don't want it to stand out too much possibly scare the fishies away - then again i could use a fluro leader, however i can't find them in 80lb either ..

Hi all,

I'm after 70lb braid that's good in quality and price - there seem to be afew varieties on blah blah poop however i'm abit cautious about the quality ? Also does anyone know what colour is best ?

I don't want it to stand out too much possibly scare the fishies away - then again i could use a fluro leader, however i can't find them in 80lb either ..

Hi Archie For what you are looking for, a good quality Dyneema braid would be good value over the pricey spectre braids and would be ok in 60lb with 50lb fluoro leader for your kingfish and jew fishing etc....Anything over that in Dyneema would be more suitable for deep sea fishing because of the lay and 80lb fluoro leader is too stiff in my opinion as far as having subtleness goes. I'd give Go fish a call and ask Pete to recommend a good Dyneema braid and a fluoro leader for you..... it only takes a phone call and you'll have it the next day by courier and delivery to your door would only cost you about $10 anyway..

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

sorry to chime into your post but i have a question.

has anybody tried out that braid sold in bulk on 'a well known auction site'?

i bought 500m of 30 pound for the price of lunch, and havnt had any issues with it yet.

what sort of issues will arise?

cheers guys

......has anybody tried out that braid sold in bulk on 'a well known auction site'?

....i bought 500m of 30 pound for the price of lunch, and havnt had any issues with it yet.

cheers guys

Hi David....With fishing tackle we try to get everything right and seeing braid line for example on the market at a very cheap price, and despite the fact that it may perform as well as the leading brands that we do know about, you would worry about some unknown factor that may not exist and tend to say that it seems to be far too cheap and you would not have much confidence in the strength or the lasting qualities of it.....You would more than likely feel that it might break under pressure or fail in some way or other for no real reason at all...So naturally you go out and spend more money and buy one of leading brands that everyone else seems to be buying...

The situation is such that it is no longer economical for most Australians or Americans to only buy locally made products.....By the same token, the income and the cost of living for the average person in most of the Asian countries would exclude most of the people from buying European, American or Australian made products.... Yet I am sure that they also prefer to buy good quality, items the same as we do...

When you think about it there are multi million dollar factories in Asia well up to our standards and they concentrate on both local sales and export sales but they operate on a much lower economical scale away from the big cities... There a lot more fishermen in Asia than there are over here, so it's a shame that we don't know what their most popular locally made braid lines are for example....If we were able to find out, I'm sure we wouldn't hesitate to buy the same braid line as they use... Dollar for dollar there is a huge savings to be made on good quality Asian made products which are manufactured to compete not only locally but so as to be successful in the world market place as well....

Perhaps other members would like to advise about the various or perhaps the most popular braid line brands used locally over there.. I wonder if they use different labels and a different colour range on braid lines coming out of the same factory...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to chime into your post but i have a question.

has anybody tried out that braid sold in bulk on 'a well known auction site'?

i bought 500m of 30 pound for the price of lunch, and havnt had any issues with it yet.

cheers guys

Hi David,

I have used some of this cheaper bulk braid that you speak of.

My opinion is that is seems to have the strength as promised, and I have yet to have the line break unexpectedly.

The only negative thing I have found is that the profile of the line is not round and more rather flat like a ribbon (exaggerating of course). I seem to suffer line twist more so with this braid. Also the diameter of the line seems to be thicker than the better known brands available, so casting distances can be affected.

I dont regret buying and trying cheaper gear, and will continue to do so. You just need to find a happy medium between price vs performance.

I know there are many people who believe in "You get what you paid for", but I do not believe this entirely. I dont believe that a product that is triple the price is going to necessarily have triple the performance.

If I purchase an alternative product for half the price and if it has 80% of the performance of the more expensive product, In most cases I would be satisfied.

At the end of the day, everyone is different. everyone's budgets are different.

Do some research and just suck it 'n' see.....

Also it will promote competition, which is good for everyone.

Jeff