Lbg Terminal Tackle For Kings

Hi Guys,

I want to chase kings with live bait in Jervis bay, i got some gear rod and reel with 50lb mono.

Q1. What sort of lb leader should i employ?

Q2. What sort of knots and where?

Q3. What size live bait hooks?

Cheers.

hey mate,i normally use knot wise a double blood knot or standard uni knot..Trace for the south coast from 100lb to 150lb as i have and other people have encountered big kings a fare bit as the south coast holds thumpers..Hook wise i use 8/0 or 9/0 Marutos or Gamakatsu live bait hooks!!!

Big baits is the only way to go!!

Edited by flatty rock

hey mate,i normally use knot wise a double blood knot or standard uni knot..Trace for the south coast from 100lb to 150lb as i have and other people have encountered big kings a fare bit as the south coast holds thumpers..Hook wise i use 8/0 or 9/0 Marutos or Gamakatsu live bait hooks!!!

Big baits is the only way to go!!

Awesome, i picked up some 8/0 live bait hooks, thought it might of been too big!

Mate off the rocks, for the kind of gear u've already stated ur using and by the sounds of the kings ur after, i wouldnt use anything less than 100lb leader. Crimped or uni-knots where possible. Live bait hooks all depend on the size of livebaits available, and how they are to be rigged. You can use anything from a live yellowtail or slimey up to a small bonito, salmon, or even a large squid.

Rig ur live bait a couple metres under the surface using a balloon tied to a light mono line. Squid wont swim out much and yakkas tend to sulk around the wash a fair bit too but hook up a big live slimey or bonito and ur in business, she'll be swimming out well beyond the wash when allowed to and be ready coz this sort of fishing wont only attract large kings.

I wanna see u get smoked! HAHAHAHAHA

Musty

Musty! Mate! I'll keep the 100lb in mind and use the uni knot. Do you bother with a swivel or do you tie the leader to the mainline?

Smoked? HAHA Bring it on!!!! I wanna get spooled and end up at the physio like GregL LOL!!!

You will need quality line and leaders and especially knots and good quality terminals.

A very abrasion resistant mono in 24kgs will be a start.

Leader needs to be even tougher and up to 200 lb if using live bonnies or frigates.

Large game hooks in the 8/0 to 10/0 forged ones if you can get them.

Sampo game swivels are a must for large fish from the stones.

You should tie a bimni or plait and at least 10 ft long and then add sampo and then 8ft maximum leader.

You can join the trace and swivels with a uni knot ,good for heavy leaders or crimp and thimble with jinkai.

Tie balloon directly to sampo with 6kg mono or add large bobby cork to the heavy leader.

The reel should have a very smooth drag and a lot of it.

Rod should be no more than 8ft or the leverage will get you.

Good luck with it and make sure you hold on tight if you want to get a BIG FELLA off the stones.

Cheers Stewy

Thats some sound advise. I got 24kg Stren on a serious 7ft rod and reel, just purchased some Mustad live bait 8/0. Thought that'd be too large, but i guess im wrong!

What brand leaders should i consider? And which ones should i steer clear of? Is it safe to stick to brands?

Sampo swivels, where can i get them? I have never seen them in tackle stores! Ball bearings! Thats crazy, and they're expensive! but i dont mind considering quality.

When you say 10ft bimini, do you mean the double itself? I was planning on doing something like 50 twists (for sure that wont be 3m of twists, just want to double check :])

How should i join the bimini and sampo swivel? What sort of knot?

Thanks for the gold!

on my kingy rigs i use 10/0 gamagatsus cheep and they wont let you down.

For mono i only do 20 twists for bimini and 30 twists for braid.2 meters of leader at 80lb jinki and 1 meter of flurocarbon at the hook end.

As for swivels i now only use crane swivels because i recently used a ball bearing swivel and the ring snapped of on a big king,but thats a trust issue and im sure it was a once of thing.

As for landbased down here in adelaide most guys use 50 or 37kg mono and a full wind on leader of 200lb with leaver drag reels.

In saying that a 30kg king here is just the norm and thats why we fish heavy heavy.

Good luck if ya hook a big king of the stones your going to need it

For heavy leader i like the nail not the best and i also like the plaited double to double the line.

As for balloons you won't usually need them for kings, but have a few different sized corks to do the job.

I have hooked big kings on sorts of bait and usually only 3-6m from the rocks, but i also hooked one 100m out on a 1kg trevally as well! Unfortunately i can't tell you about landing them, ive been done by all the big kings i get. For some reason i havn't hooked kings from 5-15kg, all of em have been 5kg and under or 15-35kg go figure?? and the 15kg one i hooked on 15kg!

For heavy leader i like the nail not the best and i also like the plaited double to double the line.

As for balloons you won't usually need them for kings, but have a few different sized corks to do the job.

I have hooked big kings on sorts of bait and usually only 3-6m from the rocks, but i also hooked one 100m out on a 1kg trevally as well! Unfortunately i can't tell you about landing them, ive been done by all the big kings i get. For some reason i havn't hooked kings from 5-15kg, all of em have been 5kg and under or 15-35kg go figure?? and the 15kg one i hooked on 15kg!

Im beginning to like the plait too. After you have a double, how do you connect to your swivel / snap clip / leader ?

And why do you say no ballons?

How do you use corks?! Never seen anyone on the rocks using them as yet.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add a bit of variety, my setup for land based kings runs as follows.

I run a short plaited double in 24kg main line to a 4 turn cats paw in 5m or so of 80lb twisted leader. This is connected by a three turn uni knot to a ball bearing swivel to which I tie my 100lb leader.

Its seems a bit over-done but the double/cats paw connection makes for a smooth passage through the guides when under strain and the twisted leader gives me a heap of control when the fish gets in close. You can really lock it up and go to town

• 3 weeks later...