Which Line Weight For King/jew Combo

monch

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer/recommend for my combo?

• 20lb
    • 30lb

Hi guys, i recently bought a combo for light/medium kingy/jewie bait fishing and would like your opinions once again but for line rating.

7' 6-10kg Ugly Stik Platinum

Shimano Baitrunner 4500B

I also got 300m of 20lb Fins PRT braid and some backing which the people at the store spooled up for me. I was happy with the purchase until i did some testing of the drag with my cousin. The braid seemed to snap at around a 5kg (10lb) drag setting and not at the slim beauty knot either. My testing was a little crude but seems accurate enough for my intentions.

My method was:

Weighed some dumbells on an electronic balance, wrapped a few metres of line onto the handle which was not sharp, tried to keep the pressure nice and even and tied it off with a uni knot. I then increased the drag on the reel, pointed it to the floor and dead lifted the weights. With a 5kg dumbell, i slowly decreased the drag until the drag started to slowly tick and lower the weight back to the floor. Now that i had a fairly good measure of 5kgs of drag, i got my cousin to get a good grip of the 30lb mono leader, i pointed the rod at him and he walked backwards very slowly. SNAP goes the braid a good 2m away from the slim beauty knot. Now i am very confused.

This now raises a few questions:

- Is the line faulty or is my testing flawed?

- Should I try to return the line and if so how would i prove it was faulty?

- How much drag should i run on my combo? i was thinking 3kg but not sure now

- Should i get another spool of 30lb braid instead of 20lb?

The main question: Should i use 20lb or 30lb braid for my combo which is in bold above?

Edited by monch

The simplest way to test the line is to tie it to a set of spring scales and the other end to an imovable object. Braid usually breaks above the stated breaking strain, provided your knots aren't a signifcant weak point.

your testing method is not suitable. as you lift the dumbell, your rod is adding extra pressure so your 5kg force is not exactly 5kg. you need a scale for accurate measurements

i can also say that 20lb fins is very strong. only been snapped off from structure, never has a fish been able to snap the line in clear water

Edited by hottyscotty

your testing method is not suitable. as you lift the dumbell, your rod is adding extra pressure so your 5kg force is not exactly 5kg. you need a scale for accurate measurements

I am not using my rod to lift the dumbell, it is a 2 piece rod so i was only using the butt section and pointing it at the floor and lifting upwards so the rod did not do anything apart from holding the reel in place.

You measure drag under with the rod under load not from the reel itself so the test would give you a pretty accurate drag setting since he knows exactly how much the weight is.

Did you only do it the once or did the same thing happen a few times? If only once try it again and see what happens as there may have just been a nick in it or something...

Hi Monch I realise some of the lure fishermen are reluctant to fish too heavy these days and consider using lighter line and lighter gear as a personal challenge to test their fish playing skills which is fair enough and a very sporty way to fish as well and good luck to them too :thumbup: However there are others who go out and buy larger lures that are made to perform just as well on their heavier gear......

You'll find that 20 and 30lb line wouldn't cover all of our jew fisherman's preferences particularly in a poll .....such as those those who prefer to fish for jewfish with heavier gear and big baits on low diameter heavy braid lines and those who use big Alveys and spool up with the maximum monofilament to suit, for fishing around rocky areas and so as to be able hold jewfish off structure such as pylons etc......and also those who wish to at least be able to identify the fish that was either about to snap the line despite the best they can get out of the rod and the drag and especially fish that keep on running so hard that they totally spool the reel.....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

if you are going for monsta kings and jewies

i would use 50lb braid +

where i live we get sambos and 50lb still cant stop them

BUT if you want to have fun good on ya go light a light capture is always more valueable than on heavy gear

watever u choose i hope you enjoy it

tightlines cameron

i use 30lb mono platypus low stretch on a 6500baitrunner as my jew land based combo never been snapped of and have landed 30+kg rays but as per destinate fishing rocky area beach pylon breakwall.. i find 30lb is a good allround line suits most area's i just vary my leader size usually 60lb or even 80lb pending area,

i set all my drags by weights and have my rods assembled like ready to be used and tie it on and wind leaving rod at height i fight the fish so when im on i know exactly how much drag i have, i calcualte by 1/3 of line lb.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for the comments and votes.

It seems that most people would prefer 30lb over the 20lb. However due to my shortage of $$$ i will probably stick to the 20lb for now at least and see how i go. If it holds up then all is well, if not then i guess i will get another spool of 30lb.