Mangrove Jack

Stanfo

Hi raiders, I have caught the mangrove jack bug. However dipite reading all the fishing literature surrouding them and I was wondering if you guys could please clear up a few areas surrounding the elusive jack. I fish a local river 10 mins south of Coffs Harbour and intend to fish the hours either side of sunset, is this an effective statergy or am I waisting my time, mainly due to it being August and still relitvely cold. My other query is how do I pick a likely snag for jacks, are there any things that I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance

Cheers

Lachlan

Find the biggest collection of snags and work back from there. The fish will still be there but they might be a bit harder to tempt in colder water. This time of year your best bet would be a livie fished hard against a snag or rock wall and when the water heats up a bit and the fish get more aggresive then look at chasing them on lures.

Cheers Shane.

Hey stanfo im from sydney but i do alot of fishing up your way, mainly around Valla which is not far from you.

I fish Deep Creek for them and i would agree with shane mate, just keep working snag's bud.

Fishing sunrise and sunset are the peak times and dont be affraid to use big lures, these fish are very aggresive so even go as big as a bommer Lure in gold/black or natural mullet pattern...

Dont know about fishing for em yet though, maybe hold off until that warm water starts to trickle down the coast. Do your home work mate and you should nail a couple this summer, ive even gone as far as putting some goggles on and have a look around underwater the week before you fish an area.

Should be plenty of fallen trees in the creeks up there at the moment due to those nasty floods.

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Cheers Michael.

Thanks for the help guys, I'll try to get some livies and see how that goes. The snag snorkelling sounds like a great idea but the water will have to warm up a bit because im a wuss.

thanks again

Lachlan