Baby Mudcrabs For Sale?

Basil D

I've seen them at the pyrmont fish markets and paddys as well. My guess is they aren't muddies, just saying they are to entice you to buy. I often see undersized fish at pyrmont esp whiting. I've written complaint letters to NSW Food Authority but been ignored.

Hey Guys

Muddies are particularly hard to farm.

They are cannabalistic and territorial, so naturally it is very difficult.

There has been some success only recently, but the farm out is approx 450g.

If they are muddies then they are not farmed. OOPs, therefore they will not be farmed and will therefore be wild and not legal.

If they are not muddies then, OOOps, Food Act and labelling requirements!!!, still not legal and an offence.

Buggered on both counts.

Groper and Bagga do with that what you will with the Authorities if you so choose.

Just make sure you check, check and check again before any formal compliant.

It may very well come back to bite you on the arse big time, like my "Rockwieller" does to me. :1yikes:

Tan, (He He), as a Mod your response to our on going sub threads is required, as well as naturally your opinion on the above.

Cheers all FR's

Trapper T

Your response

This topic has been discussed recently on FR.

With regards to undersized fish for retail sale: I believe that the size limit laws differ for rec fisherfolk and retailer sellers. If the NSW Food Authority doesn't respond then maybe a call to the DPI is warranted. Either way I think we should inquire with relevant government bodies until a definitive answer is found.

Regarding sub-posts and sub-'text' of this topic, one reply to this post has been removed already for breaching FR rule 6.

Please keep all comments clean on all counts.

Thanks

Tan

Ive seen undersize fish at sydney fish markets before, mainly kings, and did find out these fish were farmed and was ok.

As for the crabs the only conclusion i can come up with is that they are not mud crabs, i saw on the food channel small crabs like that being fried up in the pan and eaten whole with the shell, claws and everything on...maybe its like that?

typical - just waht youd expect to find in a shop with that post code - seen prenty similar on local most popular rock fishing spot - much easier to tip the bucket over the ledge than a whole shop. shame shame we know your name !

typical - just waht youd expect to find in a shop with that post code - seen prenty similar on local most popular rock fishing spot - much easier to tip the bucket over the ledge than a whole shop. shame shame we know your name !

Hogwash didnt you read my post above?

shame shame we know YOUR name !

It is not a good look seeing undersize fish for sale in the shops. Suppose the shops have to get money back for their bulk purchases. Not the best way to educate the novice recreational fisherman is it.

Cheers BART :(

hi i just like to say most fresh seafood sold in fish shops in sydney have all been sourced from the sydney fish markets through the auction which is held mon-fri,i have seen these crabs being bought by shop owners through the fishmarkets so therefore they are legal to sell,as for under size fish fisheries officers frequent the sydney fishmarkets and do their checks before the auctions