Thinking Of Buying A Stacer 420 Seaway - Advice Needed

cbrjon

Hi,

I was hoping to get some opinions (good, bad or otherwise) on our first boat buy! I'm looking to buy something to take the family/kids out on over the weekends. This will be our first boat buy. This is what I've got my eye on, and want to know if its worth the dollars.

$13000

2004 Stacer 420 Seaway

Yamaha 30hp 2stroke

swivel seats, Electric tilt, Front steering,

Fish finder , Radio, Cd Player, Marine Radio

Big Esky, 6 Life Jackets,

Ski Biscuit and Extra Life Jackets,

full safety gear, Bait Board, Great High Canopy, side curtains, rod holders, cup holders, Glove box

In perfect condition as new. Been sitting not used for a while.

rego unitll 31/MAY/2010 Boat & Trailer

So, I'm throwing it out there for someone wiser to comment on!

Cheers,

Jon

Mate give Huey@Huett Marine a PM.. Im sure he could give you a good price on a brand new one !

$13000 is a little dear i think tho its a nice boat. I got my 2004 model Quintrex Estuary Angler painted with a 40hp Yamaha on marlin trailer for 9 grand last year.. Just gotta shop around abit ! People are crazy for money now and plus just after the boat show people might be getting rid of there old boats after upgrading at the show !

Yes it does seem a bit dear. Also 30 hp might be a bit underpowered. You will also get a very hard ride if it is at all choppy with forward steer on a tinnie that size.

Why don't you check out the 4.1 Polycraft Challenger? You could by new for that price or less depending on motor and options. It is a much more durable and better performing boat than an equivalent sized tinnie.

Mate it sounds like a great boat, But If you are buying a Stacer I would chat with Huey.

30hp 2 stroke will get you around - but for a little more (if you have it or the bank will give it to you) a new boat with a 4 stroke would be the way to go.

But I have a 420 with a similar set up but a 40 4 stroke and it is great family fun!

Enjoy and don't spend what you can't afford.

Pat

Hi Jon - My mate bought the Seaway 420 with a 40hp Merc ( From Huetts ). 6 years ago I think.

Have been out in it a few times and found it very good, handles the swell and chop of the harbour just fine. Its a good size boat to start with, easy enough to launch & retrieve single handed as well and does not need a "monster truck" to tow it around.

John

Cheers for the replies.

I've had a bit of a search online for Stacer Seaways, and give or take a year or two the price doesn't seem to fluctuate a great deal. Do boats keep their value a lot better than say cars?

Only looking to take trips to dams/lakes or on the odd coast trip along the rivers. And, yeah, don't want to go too big as we only have the family car (wifes VZ Wagon) to tow with. I'm just happy to get the go ahead with buying a boat! But don't want to blow our money on something that won't suit us, or obviously isn't worth the cash. We live a good 4+hrs from the coast so are somewhat limited in what we can get out to have a look at too.

Will check out this Huetts online. Again, thanks for the input.

Decisions, decisions....

mate also if the 30hp .. most likey wont have tilt and trim and thats a real pain in the asse when you go to beach the boat you gotta run to the back of the boat to left the motor up !

Gets anonnying after a while, Thats why i upgraded to the 40 !

mate also if the 30hp .. most likey wont have tilt and trim and thats a real pain in the asse when you go to beach the boat you gotta run to the back of the boat to left the motor up !

Gets anonnying after a while, Thats why i upgraded to the 40 !

Nope, says electric tilt.

But will definitely keep that in mind when looking around.

thats good then, im guessing its a 3 cylinder model, and IMO the best 30hp carby motor on the market.

As for 30hp, Its heeps, I had a 420 Dory with a 30 hp yammmy and it was more then enough HP, 40hp is a little over the top, tho i only got it cos it was second hand and had tilt and trim, Notting wrong with 30hp !

Hi Jon, the only person that can answer the question as to whether it is worth the dollars is you. Yes as the guys have said it is on the high side and with a 30HP it is minimal HP and find out if it is power TRIM and tilt. If only tilt that is not as desirable because you can not change the trim angle on the run. Depending on condition of the boat and more imprtantly the engine it could be a good buy, but iut will be out of warranty and on your own and unless there is a service history it could come back and bite you. It does have some options, but unless YOU really want these things you are paying for things you might not want.

I choose to stock and sell Stacer because I think they are the best and in the 4.2M alloy runabout market there is not a better boat than the Seaway-they ride fine and are stable and as mentioned not hard to tow around. Of course a bigger boat is better but the we sell alot of Seaways and they are fine the Hawkesbury and Harbour. I have one in stokc at present with a 40HP E-TEC, which is the best power in my opinion and we could put a carby on it and get it cheaper or a 4-Stroke and make more moeny in servicing but we like the E-TEC.

If you have any idea of what YOU want in terms of extrs PM me and I can give you the Raider price and the Seaway comes STD with fishfinder / canopy and more.

Cheers,

Huey.

In a tinny that size I would go for a tiller steer. You will end up with more fishing space, probably save 5k and not have to worry about servicing your steering.

I have the same size boat, a 420 dory and have run it with both a 30hp and 40hp. The 30hp was fine but the 40 does the job much better if you have 3 or 4 adults on board and it can even pull a wakeboard out with 80kg bloke on it.

Just wanted to give a quick update & to say thanks to all for opinions & advice.

Went today to have a look at said boat, and it was as advertised - perfect condition & plenty of extras. Well maintained, fresh water use only, garaged, etc. Anyway, long story short, we got it for $11,500. I'm Stoked!!! Looking forward to taking her out on the first trip.

Thanks again for advice given. Muchly appreciated.

Cheers,

Jon