Salmon Recipe

Catchin Jack

Well my wife found this recipe for salmon, i wasn't sure about it but after tasting it, quite enjoying eating them now.

As soon as caught, cut the fish’s throat and slash to the bone at each side of the fish’s tail.

1. Fillet the fish – skin the fillets – remove the ribs and remove the red meat along the centre of each fillet (the skin side – this thin layer of red meat is the really strong tasting stuff and is why most people don’t like it – keep the red meat for tomorrow’s bait or berley).

2. Starting at the tail end of each fillet and slicing at an angle across the fillet and towards the tail, cut each fillet into 15mm thick slices (should end up about 50-60mm wide pieces). This cuts the meat across the grain and the result will not be tough meat (which is why some people don’t like it).

3. Use a rolling pin or beer bottle and crush up a good handful of Kellogs Corn Flakes; put into a plastic bag with a half cup of flour. Add pepper and salt to taste – shake to mix.

4. Submerge fish pieces into a dish of fresh milk for five-ten minutes; turn a couple of times during this period.

5. Prepare a frying pan with a couple of knobs of butter and a dash of olive oil (not margarine) until butter is staring to brown. Remove fish from milk, drop into bag of crumbs and shake until fish is coated with crumbs.

6. Fry gently until crumbs start to darken up. Place on paper towel to drain.

7. Add some roughly crushed macadamia nuts, the juice of half a lemon, and a dollop of fresh unthickened cream to the remaining butter in the pan and cook down to a sauce consistency. You could add some parsley and/or peri-peri if you want to.

The fish cooked this way will be dryish in texture and of a completely new taste to you, I’ll bet.

Eat with nothing more than some asparagus and carrot sticks lightly steamed together. Perhaps a bit of mashed spud if you want bulk.

A bottle of crisp and cold Verdelho, or Semillon will see this off nicely.

Let me know how you like it, please.