Phosphorus In Water

Catchin Jack

Anyone else noticed the large amount of phosphorus in the water at present or is it just localised to small part of Central Coast ?

Went out last night for a fish and the waves breaking were glowing bright green, even when casting and the sinker hit the water it was a flash of glowing green.

Anyone got any ideas of why and how this happens, naturally occurring or man made run off (pollution)??

Does it affect whether or not the fish are biting or maybe fishing is better?

Cheers,

Leo

Edited by Fezza

Anyone else noticed the large amount of phosphorus in the water at present or is it just localised to small part of Central Coast ?

Went out last night for a fish and the waves breaking were glowing bright green, even when casting and the sinker hit the water it was a flash of glowing green.

Anyone got any ideas of why and how this happens, naturally occurring or man made run off (pollution)??

Does it affect whether or not the fish are biting or maybe fishing is better?

Cheers,

Leo

I also see this inside, I take the yak out at night a lot and around the bridges it looks unreal...

What is the cause of it??? Looks great when you catch a fish on it..

Edited by high_speed_metal

Hi guys,

The common cause of seeing things glow in the dark (apart from illegal substances) is a phytoplankton called Noctaluca . Occurs in huge red slicks sometimes in my neck of the woods.

Local fishfarmers hate it - it gets stuck in the gillrakers of farmed salmon, dies and kills the fish. I think it gives off ammonia when it's dead, but someone smarter than me will prolly know more about that

Yocky

Yocky

Spot on mate, its not bacteria.

Looks great behind the boats motor and other stuff, ie zipping your line through the water at night etc.

As Plankton, my understanding is that they do the photosynthesis thing to produce energy.

Hence pollutants such as fertilizers are the main contributing factor to abnormal environmental occurrences.

Also Noted these things are a normal part of the environment and have always been there.

Regards

Trapper Tom

Hi I've always thought Phosphorous meant no fish but recently I caught over a dozen mullet floating bread on the surface when there was heaps of phosphorous around. The mullet didnt seem to be deterred by it and it was spectacular when a large one was hooked and took a good run and jump.

Cheers Langa

Hi I've always thought Phosphorous meant no fish but recently I caught over a dozen mullet floating bread on the surface when there was heaps of phosphorous around. The mullet didnt seem to be deterred by it and it was spectacular when a large one was hooked and took a good run and jump.

Cheers Langa

We caught 3 hammerheads in 30 mins about 5 months ago in Jerusalem Bay at 4am.

They were babies at only 1.2m BUT mama was circling and nudged the boat (a 4.5m pongrass) twice.

You should have seen the glow on her - like a BIG snake or croc coming at us. She must have been only 1m beneath us. We had a newby on board and he almost need to change his pants.

We caught 3 hammerheads in 30 mins about 5 months ago in Jerusalem Bay at 4am.

They were babies at only 1.2m BUT mama was circling and nudged the boat (a 4.5m pongrass) twice.

You should have seen the glow on her - like a BIG snake or croc coming at us. She must have been only 1m beneath us. We had a newby on board and he almost need to change his pants.

Hi Tan the fisherman, I hope you didn't waste those hammerheads,i rate them in the top three eating fish.

good fishin mate .cheers.

Hi Tan the fisherman, I hope you didn't waste those hammerheads,i rate them in the top three eating fish.

good fishin mate .cheers.

The captain sh!t himself and didnt want the fist one on board as they thrash around. The second one broke his net and fell through. The third one, I said Im keeping and she was the biggest at 1.3m which we gaffed.

She was beautiful exactly 26 hrs after catch - in foil with garlic, ginger, 100mls of coconut cream and a tablespoon of laksa paste. A spray of fresh lemon on the plate and of course a :beersmile: