Squid Tactics

paulg

Hi all, its been a while since I've posted.

Moving off the bream and on to the Jew.

A mate hooked a half metre Jew last week on a servo prawn, we couldn't believe it, but now we are keen to catch some larger cousins.

But we need SQUID !

We have attempted a few well known spots in the hacking, to no avail, water temp has been between 12 and 14 degrees.

We have used 2.5 amd 3.0 jiggs while drifting with the boat, during the day, normally between 3 and 5pm around the start of the run in, the last month.

Is there anything obvious we are doing wrong ?

Are squid more common during the NIGHT around well lit wharfs insetad of day?

Are they easy to catch in summer or winter?

Help with above will be well appreciated.

cheers

MR RB>

Edited by Mr Rosebay

Main comments for squidding are;

- look for squid ink around a likely looking area if you are shore based

- do not skimp on squid jigs, get a few yamashitas etc in natural colours and the standard orange/pinks around a 2.0-3.0 size.

- I find letting the jig settle on the bottom is very successful (this is from Yamashita develoment staff) and fast erratic movements get the squid interested but other days usign the jig like a lure works (or even letting the jig sit for 20 minutes on the bottom has worked), basically have mutiple jigs and retreive methods available.

Have a crack at the kelp/weed beds between Hungary Pt and Bass and Flinders Pt.

If you follow Slinky's advice of going real slow and keeping you jig just above the weed you should go alright. Late afternoon has always been a good time for me thereand a little bit into the dark. Not sure about allnight though as I am usually settled in for a fish by then.

Another spot that isnt too bad is to anchor up just on the edge of the sand flats at the front of Burraneer Bay and whip your jig out into the deeper water. Use a bigger jig in this spot as the water runs harder and you need the weight to get down near the bottom.

Dave

ps there aint no fair dinkum Jews in the Hacking

Edited by davemmm

Squid seem to be attracted to light at night. Once there was this bloke (fishraider member I forgot his name) who brought a petrol generator with halogen lights to a wharf and lit the place up. The squid came pretty fast I managed to score 7 that night. The petrol ran out and the squid disappeared, until he came back with more fuel and lit up the place again then the squid came back! I never got around to buying a generator for squidding purposes hehe

thanks guys,

i'll give it a shot..

don't know about the genie though !

MR RB...

Squid seem to be attracted to light at night. Once there was this bloke (fishraider member I forgot his name) who brought a petrol generator with halogen lights to a wharf and lit the place up. The squid came pretty fast I managed to score 7 that night. The petrol ran out and the squid disappeared, until he came back with more fuel and lit up the place again then the squid came back! I never got around to buying a generator for squidding purposes hehe

In my experience, the biggest, most plentiful and reliable squid come from kelp beds in 3-6m of water. dawn and dusk are always best, but not necessary, just very hard at night cause you don't know where to cast and how deep your jig is running.

Summer/winter, no difference except I get bigger ones in winter, and more in the shallows (0.5m to 2m) in summer.