Raiders Advice Please

Ray R

Hi Raiders, should the plastic protective covering on cork grips be removed or is it okay to leave on to further protect during the use of the rod.

Will the plastic cause the cork or glues used to sweat and leak.

Just after some raiders thoughts...

post-3371-1251668646_thumb.jpg

Hi Raiders, should the plastic protective covering on cork grips be removed or is it okay to leave on to further protect during the use of the rod.

Will the plastic cause the cork or glues used to sweat and leak.

Just after some raiders thoughts...

considering its very likely they could end up sitting in a hot shipping container (in the plastic wrapping) for a few months i reckon it wont hurt em ... only negative i can think of is that it will affect your grip on the rod.

But my personal view is that leaving it on would be like leaving the plastic wrapping on a new lounge ... insanity :1prop:

considering its very likely they could end up sitting in a hot shipping container (in the plastic wrapping) for a few months i reckon it wont hurt em ... only negative i can think of is that it will affect your grip on the rod.

But my personal view is that leaving it on would be like leaving the plastic wrapping on a new lounge ... insanity :1prop:

ditto!

Ray my view is that it's best to remove the plastic transport wrapping off rod grips.... Cork being naturally porous needs to be aired..... The grips need to be cleaned with a damp cloth after use and you should wipe them over with Armour-all which conditions and protects the cork and also sponge rod grips and gives them a luxurious look and a nice feel as well.....It's a good idea to use a damp cloth to clean all your rods from top to bottom after use and then finish off each rod by using Armour-All to protect them and it also polishes them up nicely as well........

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

G'day Ray,

Like Andy said, it's a bit like the plastic covering on a sofa... it's not as comfortable of beautiful with the plastic still on but some people just hate to get dirt on it.

Cork feels so sensitive I can't imagine leaving the plastic on. Don't know if it would do any harm or not but I've never treated the cork on any of my rods... just a good wash after outings. It changes colour over time for sure but I think still looks good. If you want protection, I'd try out Ceph's idea of the bee's wax... he loves his gear so I'd consider his, a 'go-to' opinion.

Never thought of Armorall on my rods Byron... I've got some Armorall wipes lying around so I'll give it a go.

Cheers, Slinky

G'day Ray

I reckon you should leave the plastic on, just like this bloke left the wrapping on his new boat.

It'll keep it like new forever! Maybe a little inconvenient! I suppose he could cut a few holes to fish out of ... :074::074::074:

post-4381-1251689088_thumb.jpg

Jewgaffer, I'm going to try that Armour-All idea. Sounds good.

Cheers

Peter

What sort of rod is that Ray?

BTW, hit the grips with Bees Wax. Will protect and lengthen the life of the cork.

Hi Ceph, Red is right it's a Pflueger Supreme, a nice bit of gear..

post-3371-1251690281_thumb.jpg

post-3371-1251690301_thumb.jpg

And thanks to all Raiders for your input, looks like the plastic is coming off..

Edited by Ray R

I have a broken tip on a 5 -8 kilo Shakespeare Tripple Wrap President rod and can't do anything with it...It was made in 1979 to take some of the market back from their own Ugly Stik division...... Any idea of the next size up in the Pflueger Supreme Ray.... have a lighter 5 kilo PFlueger already, what would the Supreme model in say an 8kilo model be worth Ray ?

Cheers

I have a broken tip on a 5 -8 kilo Shakespeare Tripple Wrap President rod and can't do anything with it...It was made in 1979 to take some of the market back from their own Ugly Stik division...... Any idea of the next size up in the Pflueger Supreme Ray.... have a lighter 5 kilo PFlueger already, what would the Supreme model in say an 8kilo model be worth Ray ?

Cheers

SP661M 6'6" Spin 4-8kg 1pc $450

SP70HFT 7' Spin 6-10kg $450