What's The Squidding Situation ?

archilles2

Hey all,

Just wanted to see how everyone is going squidding wise ? I want to try the hacking but i have this eeerie feeling it's still alittle dead. I need to vacuum seal some kingy candy in preparation for the beginningn of kingy season ;)

Can anyone give me any info on their breeding patterns, when they're likely to come on in numbers and size ?

Thanks for your help , i need to post some pics soon, i'm feeling very rusty!

To the moderators, if you could please move this to fishing chat , that would be great -

i just realised i accidentally posted in fishing reports by mistake and don't know how to delete my post ?

If it's too hard i'm happy to leave it here.

Edited by archilles2

...Just wanted to see how everyone is going squidding wise ? I want to try the hacking but i have this eeerie feeling it's still alittle dead. I need to vacuum seal some kingy candy in preparation for the beginningn of kingy season ;)

Hi Archie squid and yellowtail are plentiful in the Hacking in winter..We used to down go to your wharf first and catch our yellowtail before we fished landbased at CC Bridge, as they were not always reliable running floats off the rocks down there.... Before I dropped my mates off we would drive back up Taren Point Rd and fish off the wharf for squid.....Try fishing from the last couple of hours of a run out tide particularly when low tide is due around daybreak, have a lantern on the wharf and fish small yo zuris and see how you go then....

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Edited by jewgaffer

Dont know bout hacking but iv been regularly catching plenty of big calamari off wharves in balmain the past week.

I just live up the road so i walk down for a couple of hours and im yet to come home empty handed.

If only i can figgure out how to catch some of those massive mullet next.

No shortage of squid around.

Some very small (3cm), i got my keeper today on an 8 inch squid.

Small jigs with good boyancy work well for me, though you have to let them sink if the water is deep.

I you can fish at night with lights, you are off to a good start. Throwing a yaka out live under a balloon will also bring them round at night. I see most of my squid before I catch them.

DAn