Releasing Fish Safely

King slayer

On Saturday night myself and The Calamari Kid caught and released 6 small jew into water around 24m deep, some had expanded air bladders.

I saw Rex hunt once pop the bladder with a knife and send it back down, but this seems like it may cause problems for the fish.

Does anybody know more about this or have seen evidence of survival rates with particular methods etc?

I'd just like to know I'm releasing a fish o live, not die.

Cheers, Dave

Edited by King slayer

on one of the fishing DVD's I saw a neat trick. They file the barb of a large hook and attach it to a big snapper sinker. Then tie a heavy mono to the bend in the hook.

Hook the lip of the fish and use the snapper weight to pull him back to the bottom. Then yank the mono and you can retrieve the lead and hook.

Not sure if this is proven method but they were using it in a snapper comp and this was the accepted method of compressing the swim bladder safely.

Hope this helps.

I know a couple of basic things in regards to fish releasing and that is to try not to handle the fish with dry hands, use a wet towel or soak your hands first, and never grab it up in the gills, if possible hold it by the bottom jaw and support it with your wet hand or wet towel under the belly.

Don't know about the up from the depths release methods but I have seen what King Slayers on fishing shows as well..

Pinch the opening of the gill plates with your left hand while cradling the fish with your right hand and put a little bit of a pressure on the fish's taint with your index finger....you'll find that pressure on the taint itself will prevent a fish from struggling about......

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1: