First Trout

Fished Thompsons Creek Dam today with dad with the hope of catching my 1st trout. This is only the second time ever being out there and after doing some more research on fishraider posts we decided to hit the western bank.

Tied on the a pink tassie and first casts were in at 7AM. The water looked promising with a few rises around and I had a big bow wave follow my tassie in the shallows (couldnt see the fish) but didnt take the lure :thumbdown: . We found a deeper area and on the second cast i was hit by my 1st trout :biggrin2: A brown hen going a touch under 45cm :yahoo:

post-4329-1253100558_thumb.jpg

That unfortunately was the only fish for the day even though we were followed by big rainbows and browns and saw heaps of rainbows cruising in the shallows and occasionally feeding off the surface. We threw our whole tackle box at them...different hard bodies and soft plastics but to no avail. This was really frustrating seeing these big fish and not being able to entice them into a bite :mad3:

I think they were feeding on the of lady bugs and beetles that had fallen into the water. There were heaps of these little bugs around.

post-4329-1253101191_thumb.jpg

post-4329-1253101204_thumb.jpg

All in all a great day out with my dad and another fish to cross off my list on must catch with a lure!! :1prop:

Jeff

That is a great brown!!

congratulations on your first trout

nice luvias combo as well

TCD is very hot and cold

fishes best early and also when the weather is shite

was it cold?

bm

Thanks... the light luvias combo handled it very well however dam trout ive heard dont tend to fight all that well and this one did just that..gave up after a few shakes.

The weather was nice...ie not that cold at all.

i'll keep that in mind for next time

Jeff

Nice first there Jeff, I remember mine, if you find there rising and feeding on the surface throwing lures at them can be just about pointless especially here in NZ, one trick is to fish a small clea bubble float the ones you can fill with a little water for weight andthen fish a dry fly off it imitating the prey, can be a very effective tactic fish a good 3 to 4 fee tleader off the float though to avoid spooking the fish anothe rdeadly technique is to tie a leader off the bend of the tassie devil and attach a hamills killer or small wee hackled wet 9 times out of 10 they will hit the wet you can do the same but use a gold head woolly bugger in a size 6 behind a grey ghost the bead head will give you casting weight and looks like a cray chasing some prey.

cheers

Royce.