Reel Bearing Grease

sami

Hi,

Just wondering ppl recommend in the way of grease for reel bearings. Mainly for the smaller threadlines with exposed bearings (such as the bearings that sit on either side of the drive gear in my little daiwa capricorn)

Should i be hunting around for a silicone, lithium or other based grease ?

Thanks,

Sami

PS: Not too interested in grease from reel manufacturers (ie the penn/jarvis walker/daiwa).

I dont think you should use grease A light machine oil is what you need and make sure you clean the bearings before applying new oil

40122[/snapback]

if the bearings were sealed/shielded i'd use oil.

appreciate your comments but i'm definately after a low viscosity grease

sami,

there are a couple of options that I use one is penn blue grease it is water proof and is really good on bearings or lanoguard grease it is also waterproof and inhibits rust but it can become a bit thin in the heat.

With the blue grease I add a small amount of Lucas Oil stabiliser it makes the grease stickier and a bit more slippery I have been using this for a little while and I find it works really well. I mix a small amount in a jar and load this into a syringe and use this to put the grease where I want it.

I hope this helps :1prop:

Big-Pete :1fishing1:

I belive the best thing to clean a reel is a evaporating type hydrocarbon like dry cleaning fluid or shellite, something that does leave a residue like diesel.

I used to use jack erskines reel silky grease but need a new tube, but i dont think they make this anymore, for oil i use one of those diawa pens

when i get home I give my reels a very very light rinse with clean water (no pressure) and then a spray with a waterproof spray, i used to use wd40 but now use inox.

Guest Target

Sami

For bearings I only use light oils, grease tends to clog them and slow them down, less oil the better also, try casting an overhead that has had too much oil, or too heavy an oil, put into the bearings.

The only place I use grease in a reel is on the gears, and then I usually put some reel grease (Jarviswalker brand) and then add some rocket lube (my favourite oil) on them also - it gives a nice fluid smooth feel without too much sticking.

Just my thoughts though, I'm no expert, but have kept some old reels going for a long time.

Adrian

Sami

For bearings I only use light oils, grease tends to clog them and slow them down, less oil the better also, try casting an overhead that has had too much oil, or too heavy an oil, put into the bearings.

The only place I use grease in a reel is on the gears, and then I usually put some reel grease (Jarviswalker brand) and then add some rocket lube (my favourite oil) on them also - it gives a nice fluid smooth feel without too much sticking.

Just my thoughts though, I'm no expert, but have kept some old reels going for a long time.

Adrian

40764[/snapback]

thanks for your thoughts.

i personally prefer grease in mini bearings (if they're not fully sealed and in a threadline reel).

i can appreciate where everyone is coming from with regards to oil rather than grease but i'm not working with overheads or trying lubricate bearings for high speed applications.

prob with oil is that it needs to be constantly injected where as grease is a little stickier and stays on for prolonged periods.

a high quality, low viscosity grease is what i'm after - would love to hear if anyone has any suggestions for such a grease.

Guest Target

Sami

Try mixing them, like I do on gearss, a grease and some drops of oil, makes a nice smooth paste that is not too sticky, and wont dissapear too quick. I know If I put only grease on bearings it feels slugish on the reel. I have not tried this on reels, but my nephews skateboard has had grease treatment on ABEC 5 bearings and it works good, not too fast but still rolls smoothly.

Adrian

Sami

Try mixing them, like I do on gearss, a grease and some drops of oil, makes a nice smooth paste that is not too sticky, and wont dissapear too quick. I know If I put only grease on bearings it feels slugish on the reel.  I have not tried this on reels, but my nephews skateboard has had grease treatment on ABEC 5 bearings and it works good, not too fast but still rolls smoothly.

Adrian

40820[/snapback]

good advice mate.

have tried it in the past but i found that grease seems to keep thinning out with use (possibly because the oil beraks it down, could be the oil/grease combo i was using).

thanks,

sami

• 3 weeks later...

I've never had a problem with plain old Castrol general purpose (LM) grease. It isn't waterproof, but as I a pretty keen on servicing that isn't a major concern to me. It is not a low viscosity grease.

If you want waterproof, I recomment Valvoline VAL Plex EP grease. It is VERY waterproof. If you don't like it in your reel, you can use it in your trailer / 4WD wheel bearings...in fact if you're NOT using it in the latter applications, you probably should be. It has saved me a lot of breakdowns since I started using it in 2000. Also high viscosity.

For low viscosity applications, motorcycle chain lube or Tac 2 works very well. It is like very heavy hypoid gear oil in an aerosol, and is really sticky. I often use this in reel bearings as it has a very strong film strength, and lasts a long time before breakdown.

If you can get decent stuff, graphited grease works very well, and fits all of your criteria perfectly. I have no idea where to get it though: mine is probably 40 years old. It is excellent as far as lubricity is concerned, but does not adhere well to many surfaces.

Are you sure you need low viscosity grease? Have you tried heavier stuff to see how it feels? I generally am quite happy to lose a little (repeat: a little!) performance for the sake of longevity, so I usually go heavy duty with lubricant choice. By the way, my HS overheads have greased bearings including on the spool shaft and can cast close to 80 m with a 45 g slug (well, last time I tried anyway. Age may have reduced this a bit now...).