Battery Strap Buckles

achjimmy

I have two batteries onboard which means i have two battery box with two straps and two of those damn buckles with serrated teeth. They are an absolute mongrel to undo, is there any alternative to these crap buckles? Has anybody tried using a quick release buckle?

I have two batteries onboard which means i have two battery box with two straps and two of those damn buckles with serrated teeth. They are an absolute mongrel to undo, is there any alternative to these crap buckles? Has anybody tried using a quick release buckle?

Jim I suspect it is not the actual buckle but the way the strap has been fed through the buckle.

It is very easy to fit the straps either up side down or back the front. (been there , done that)

When done correctly , the tightining & release is very quick & easy.

Below are 2 photo's which show the correct method

Hope this helps

Geoff

post-731-1253584848_thumb.jpg

post-731-1253584880_thumb.jpg

Edited by Geoff

Hi Jimmy, as a matter of fact Geoff mounted a larger live bait tank for me and, because of a clearance problem lifting my dual batteries out of their boxes due to width of the bait tank, advised me to get hold of a couple of battery slider brackets that come with straps ..... These are very useful and only the slider bracket needs to screwed to the floor..... the slider bracket is designed to fit into the track on the bottom of a battery box and has a raised section for the strap to move thru ... the slider bracket and strap set are quite cheap to buy and just what you need if your batteries are in an awkward spot out of the way and particularly when there isn't enough room above to lift the batteries out of their protective boxes.....the strap is very easy to undo and whenever you need to access or remove the batteries, you can slide the batteries out, boxes and all...

Cheers

jewgaffer :1fishing1:

Jim I suspect it is not the actual buckle but the way the strap has been fed through the buckle.

It is very easy to fit the straps either up side down or back the front. (been there , done that)

Hope this helps

Geoff

Geoff many thanks, i think this is where i am going wrong.

Boomer battery box is important IMO in an alloy boat, the acid and the alloy do not mix to well

• 6 years later...

Hope this helps

Geoff

attachicon.gifattachment

attachicon.gifattachment

This is why I love this site. I just put in a dual battery setup and replaced the battery boxes. I was becoming frustrated with the straps that came with my battery boxes because they were hard to get tight enough to secure the battery properly, yet even when not really tight enough they were a bugger to get undone. I search on Fishraider for "battery strap" thinking some Raiders must have found a better solution. Low and behold I find this 7 year old post and discover the straps are fine - I'm just doing them up wrong.

I was taking the strap over the top of the buckle with the teeth and tucking the tail under the smooth buckle on the same side, which was hard to tighten as when you pulled it up tight it would pinch the two together and make it hard to tighten all the way. I just popped out and re-did the buckles and what do you know - does up nice and snug yet easy to get undone if you want to.

Thanks Geoff - the photos saved me needlessly replacing the straps.

Craig