Pittwater Squid?

Young Gun

Hey raiders,

Ive been attempting to catch squid in pittwater a lot lately without success. As the kingies are slowly coming back in, im keen to dish up a few live squid for them in the coming weekends. I have access to a boat. The variety of spots that i have been working have not been producing. Ive heard of a few that have been caught at Taylors point, but i had a bash there for an hour on the weekend without prevail :1badmood: . Ive been trying weekend after weekend and things are starting to get a little desperate, as everybody else around seems to be able to land the squid but i lack the knowledge and experience. Any advice at all on colors/weight/type of jigs would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Young Gun :1fishing1::beersmile:

It all depends on depth when it comes to choosing squid jigs. Just let the jig sink to the bottom give it a couple of minutes. When it does get to the bottom lift the rod up and let jig sink back to the bottom. I like using 2.5 size jigs but that's just me. Hope this helps and good luck on your squid hunting.

Cheers Joe :1fishing1:

G'day Young Gun,

The most reliable spot for squid I ever found in Pittwater was right in hard against the rocks at West Head... in front of the concrete bunker where a lot of people catch their live yakkas and slimeys. The stretch of shoreline for about 100m in either direction is pretty reliable, although only fishable in good conditions.

If the water is clean, it's also worth trying any of the jettys around Pittwater.

Choose your jig size to suit water depth... you need your jig to be swimming slowly, just above the weed. A big jig in shallow water will drop too fast and snag up, too small and it won't get down to the strike zone. For Pittwater, most of the squid are in shallow water so a 2.0 jig should be a good starting point... colour is a personal preference but pink in low light, yakka (a Yo Zuri colour) the rest of the time caught 90% of our squid in Pittwater.

Cheers, Slinky

• Like 1

Keep the jigs 1.8 size or so and fish the shallower water 2-4 meters off the many beaches in Pitty. Polaroids a must to spot the buggers. THey can be in very close around colour changes on the beaches aswell. Other than that anchor off the basin at night and bring them in with yackas. Also lookfor bait schools around the joey and use unwieghted jigs on dropper rigs on the bottom.